At what point does dumb become stupid

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobeard

Reaction score
after getting my workshop broke into and loosing most of my tools i decided even though it was a bad idea that the redundand pillar drill in the corner of the workshop was going to mill,so new bearings allter quill adjustment putting it onto a proper key and keyway then make a quill lock and an adjustable feed anyway time to try it out test piece 1"square bar of aluminium 4 mm endslot straight down the bar hey not that bad.test 2 12mm end slot straight across end of the bar straighten end up hey this isnt that bad lol, but you got to have a feel at the cut havn't you.

S6001470.jpg

but turn the machine off first

Well....we'll call it a learning experience.... ;D

I almost took my left index finger off on a bandsaw....you only need to be human for a blink to get a digit mangled!

Dave

Just a minor inconvenience today.
I was polishing a small part in the lathe, 1500 rpm, and I allowed my thumb to slide up toward the collet. My thumbnail indexed itself into one of the slots in the collet, and voila, it grabbed my thumbnail and pealed the top off. I guess about a week or 2 before it heals. Ouch!

My brother-in-law Bob was following the day shift man in a job shop a several years ago.
The day shift guy had machined a set of soft jaws for a certain job and forgot to deburr the edges.
Bob had a moment of accidental contact with one of those sharp edges while the chuck was spinning.

It hurt at the time, but it doesn't any longer.

BobsHand.jpg

Rick

That's why we all get 8 fingers and a couple of thumbs - plenty to practice on!

Yeah, trimming your fingers down isn't any fun at all. Been there done that. No plans to repeat that mistake any time soon. I know just how much it hurts.
I learned that morphine sucks as a pain killer (for me anyways)...

I also learned that just turning a machine off doesn't make it safe. Made my last cut for the night, then switched off a table saw (no blade guard), turned off the radio and then reached back to the saw put that piece of wood away and zing (yes it made a zing sound!) there went my finger and a good groove in the middle one. The saw was still spinning down...

Also learned that working when tired is dangerous, and blade guards are for that 1 moment of inattention...

Mike

hand.JPG

The good thing is our injuries from our goofs have the ability to heal maybe before our next
goof. I was routing a small block of wood didn't have it secured good enough, so I tried to
stop the router bit with my thumb , the thumb turned red my face turned white the stomach
got quizzey , now every time I look at that router I say thanks you taught me a valuable
lesson!! .

BE ALERT GUYS!!!!!

Jim

I broke the tip of a drywall screw into my left thumb. I was making furnature so I could rent out my basement. It's still there! Maganets don't lie. Yes it hurt!

I found out the hard way ya can't derail a two hundred ton locomotive with your toes.

Not sure, But that might be close...
Maybe its when you allow the blood to leak out...
Fortunately, for most of us we didn't get quite that far, but we haven't been far behind.

My brother-in-law Bob was following the day shift man in a job shop a several years ago.
The day shift guy had machined a set of soft jaws for a certain job and forgot to deburr the edges.
Bob had a moment of accidental contact with one of those sharp edges while the chuck was spinning.

It hurt at the time, but it doesn't any longer.

BobsHand.jpg

Rick

At least nobody can steal his beer now! I bet he can grip a beer bottle like a champ now! You gotta look for the good in things *beer*

i had a couple finger related accidents. one time i was cutting an irregular shaped aluminum workpiece on a band saw. it was a older blade and aluminum galls and i wasn't paying attention to whre my middle finger was. the blade started to seize up in the piece and the front of the piece was pulled down and the bottom flipped back. my finger got crushed and made contact with the still fast moving blade. i yanked my hand away and there was little pain for the first 10 seconds. i looked and my fingernail was split in two pieces diagonally from corner to corner. then the blood started seeping and i tried to clean it but the pain and shock of what happened became too distracting and as the watter flowed over it the blood started flowing faster. i grabbed a co-worker to drive me to the clinic as i wrapped it in papper towels. when the doctors cleaned it and applied pressure to stop the bleeding everything went black for a few seconds. x-rays showed my fingertip was broken though i never saw them and am unsure if it broke from being crushed or contacting the blade. the military "doctors" insisted they couldn't stitch it because of the nail so the wrapped it up and immobilized my finger and sent me to a hand surgeon a couple weeks later who scolded the doctors for leaving me with an open fracture and immobilizing my finger for all that time saying she stitched under fingernail all the time. had they brought in an actual surgeon it would have saved me some pain and risk of infection but it worked out ok in the end. i still have my finger and the nail hides the scar.

i also had a few weeks of perpetually flipping the bird. :p

then there was the time i drilled through an index finger with a broken drill bit. (small workpiece, bit broke so drill slipped) i went to the hospital then because i couldn't find the tip of it and my finger was swollen enough that it could have been in there but they didn't find anything in my finger. the x-ray did however show metal lodged in my hand and i have no memory of that happening..... :confused:

I was in China auditing electric motor suppliers. After the successful audit,hey bought me dinner with managers and senior supervisors.
After a few fiery cups 60% proof Chinese Millet Wine,I was asked how long I worked with Ingersoll-Rand USA. I raised both hands with all fingers still intact and adjusted to three fingers on the left and two fingers on the right-----32 years. One supervisor raised his left less two fingers and advised--------20 years with one finger loss every ten years while another supervisor with three fingers less------30 years. Both lost fingers on the power press. I was impressed how proud they were for their years of service but appalled by their poor safety practice.

Back