Astro Skeleton clock.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buchanan

Buchanan
Reaction score
I thought I might post a link to a website showing the build of an astronomical clock for a client. I send him regular photos and then he compiles a monthly report, so if it is acceptable I will post the link every time his website is updated. It is not an engine but has cams, chains, gears, castings and also timing and running issues! It starts here: http://www.my-time-machines.net/my_current_project3.htm and the construction index is here:http://www.my-time-machines.net /astro_http://www.my-time-machines.net/astro_10-16.htm the last post is here:

The construction spans more than 10 years and there are a few more to go. Unfortunately this is not a hobby but a commercial exercise with the constraints that go along with a contract.
I hope you enjoy it.

Flipping heck. I'm struggling to finish John Wildings weight driven wall clock.
The amount of skill and work involved in your device is really mind blowing.
Alan C.

i clicked on the link, now that's my work day gone:thumbup:

first think that caught my i was the 1200lb of brass and bronze to start of with.

Astonishing. Do post about it. I'll love watching to see it emerge from nothing. You must be an artist and a craftsman.

Here is progress made in January. The website belongs to my client. He updates it monthly from progress photos and emails that I send him. :http://www.my-time-machines.net/astro_01-17.htm

This section described is for the Sun Moon dial. From the dial you can read the following information . Length of day, Length of night. Position of the moon in the sky. Time to moon rise, Time to moon set. Time of sun rise , Time of sun set ,24 hour time, phase of the moon and a few other things. There are mechanical corrections for the inclination of the earth and the eccentricity of the moons orbit .
The photo shews the main mechanical correction portion. It uses the principal of the unequal speed of rotation of a universal joint, twice. The greater the angle of the gear the greater degrees of advance and retard occur per revolution. This type of mechanism is used on the great clock in the Prague cathedral.

Buchanan

P1080232.jpg

This post really shows that us mere mortals are only playing at engineering.

I keep saying that I most probably, after 50 years at this game, only know about 1% of what there is to know. Looking at the quality and ingenuity of this clock, I think I could divide that figure by 10.

Words can't describe it.

John

John , thank you, and to every body else that has posted compliments, thank you. I am afraid that I am also a mere mortal. What is required is a client or a patron to dream of a project like this and then find , stimulate and finance somebody to make it . Finally, break it down into component parts and it is only gears frames and screws,( rather many though).

Buchanan

B,

It was wonderful going back to the very beginning in the above link to see how everything started, and following along as it developed and I am surprised at how much of it was made by hand rather than CNC. I do realise that some multiple items need to be made by CNC, as it would only be half way there without it.

How long before it is actually finished, or is it a project that will continue to be added to and go on almost forever?
When eventually it is finished will it ever be able to be moved to another location or will that just be too much to ask of it?

John

I was introduced to cnc way into the project. It has its place but one requirement when I use it is that there will be no sign of cnc machining. All internal corners will be square. No cutter radius. It is in Australia but my client is in Chicago. It may go via England but completion is 2 to 3 years away. There is a planisphere and an orrery to come, then the case and then the final polish! A life with out it will be a little strange.
Buchanan

This the the link to the progress made in February: http://www.my-time-machines.net/astro_02-17.htm I am making some progress with the moon dial.
The photos will give you some idea of where I am at the moment but the website is much more detailed. You will also see this installment some of the machining sequences that may have a little more relevance to this site than the actual project. I will gladly answer any questions about why I do a thing in a specific way. Clock making is somewhat different to normal engineering as we would often have a comparatively flexible structure compared to an engine. The operating speeds are of course much slower, the forces are much less and and the power available is often very limited. We are also looking at a mechanism that must operate for 24 hours a day, year after year, with a maintenance interval of about ten years. In this clock I am aiming for more like fifty years, before a major overhaul is necessary. One photo might be of interest: The picture with the tube of glue. Here I need to drill a hole accurately in a long thin component, so, I have made a 'steady' out of a block of steel and attached it to the vice jaws and the end of the component with super glue. There was no clamping force to deflect the part as the glue wicked into the joint face and was sufficient to allow me to center drill and then drill with out breaking loose. This frame was first CNC milled and then machined as though it was a connecting rod with an extra large oil slinger.

P1080678.jpg

P1080679.jpg

P1080680.jpg

P1080688.jpg

P1080701.jpg

P1080693.jpg

P1080696.jpg

P1080710.jpg

P1080708.jpg

P1080713.jpg

What I can't imagine is the guy in 50 years who needs to do an "overhaul". But since Harrison's clocks in Greenwich are still working after more than 200 years it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

Kvom. we have based the design on as many of Harrison's principals as possible while remaining inside the design brief. lubrication is the prime problem when you come to long maintenance intervals.

Mayhugh, I think i know what you mean, but, that wont be for a few more years, and, I am not giving it away, so that also helps. I am hoping that there will be an element of relief when it is done as it has consumed a fair portion of my life.

This is the next installment of the construction on the clock: http://www.my-time-machines.net/astro_03-17.htm It covers the construction of the thermometer. I do admire my client;s ability to take the progress photos I send him and turn them into a coherent article. The Moon dial mechanism is progressing as well. I am at the point when I get rid of as much extra material as I can. We call it skelotonising.

P1080832.jpg

P1080915.jpg

P1080916.jpg

P1080919.jpg

P1080924.jpg

P1080928.jpg

P1080945.jpg

P1080949.jpg

P1080953.jpg

P1080967.jpg

Wow. Magnificent craftsmanship there. Where do you source your brass plate from ?

I bought the bulk in England from Smiths metals in England but now buy from Brass And Copper in Sydney. i mainly use CZ120 leaded engravers brass. Most of the steel parts are stainless. Stavex, a heat treatable stainless for the pinions and 316 for the rest.

From my childhood i am amazed with clocks and watches but your astro clock
is breathtaking work.

Latest posts

Back