Are people just in it for the admiration?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with what Michael said. Let's not get carried away over one comment. This is a good forum with a lot of good information and help.
Let this go and let's get on with model building.

Chuck

Engineering forums I have found very informative and helpful but sometimes Victor Meldrew appears
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/onefootinthegrave/
At times I wonder if I’m going that way as all aspects of Model and full size engineering appeals to me and my grump is I have not the patience to create some of the wondrous creations.
I also appreciate not every one has the knowledge or finance and when experts pull their efforts to pieces Victor Meldrew appears.
Genuine helpful advice is always welcome but it’s the way it’s communicated to the persons concerned.
Not everyone is computer literate and can find it difficult I know people myself included with limited education but have had a go at their hobbies or sports.

Victor Meldrew ( alias Windy)

personally I mostly look at pictures as I am a visual person, I say you want to write a novel on the build do it, if you don't then don't.... If some people don't get whats in the picture then maybe the project is not at a level they are at yet.

Wait a second!!!! ... Let's don't all go jumping off a cliff because of an opinion and comment from a single poster.
'Michael'

Oh i'm not jumping off any cliff over this non-sense. I have done the "build log" when building the V8. It's a lot of extra work. I think people should post what they want to post.

If a beginner, or even myself has a question about how something is done, I simply ask the question. If a beginner asks me a question, and I don't care how simple the question, I answer it. I remember when I got started and barely knew how to turn the machine on. I don't believe that we on this forum are responsible to detail everything we do. I think the responsibility lies with the person who doesn't know to ask the question.

Now I also believe that if a question is asked it should be answered with respect to the asker so to not belittle or make them feel as if they should have not asked.

I show my stuff at model engine shows and talk to people all day long. Some people are fired up as hell and just happy to be there and talk face to face about something they want to make or try making. You can see the Enthusiasm on there face and hear it in there voice. That's how I picture everybody on the forums when answering questions.

I agree,sharing your work with others is at least 50% of the enjoyment
I try to spend a lot of time using text and photos to describe what I have done
I have found that the posts that interest me most are,not too technical,simply
described with lots of photos,hence that is what I do.
With regards to the original blogwitch post.It seems some people have taken
offence,however in his defence I do not feel it was a personal attack on
anyone just maybe over the top comments.IT IS TOO EASY FOR PEOPLE TO OFFENCE WHEN NON IS INTENDED.As to blogwitch please keep up your posts
I am keen to follow your shed build

"If you show an engine build or some sort of tooling then what is shown should be fully explained and also expect to answer questions if the explanation isn't quite clear enough." -Blogwitch-

“I am very little inclined on any occasion to say anything unless I hope to produce some good by it.”
― Abraham Lincoln

With regards to the original blogwitch post.It seems some people have taken
offence,however in his defence I do not feel it was a personal attack on
anyone just maybe over the top comments.

For the most part I agree with you except it was my post that was highlighted in red and my build thread that started all this.

At this point I'm just very amused by the whole thing. I was accused of posting for glory. This thread has received far more responses than any of my build threads, detailed or not.

Can we please close this thread and get on with our lives?

...Ved.

However you choose to disseminate details of your projects is good.
I like minimalist, a set of photos with titles is good, if the author has a good turn of phrase a little prose with humour doesn't go amiss.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the backlash to a thread like this being more photos with less text ;-)

- Nick

That just shows the mentality of some people, they don't give a s*** about other people, especially beginners, all they are after is glory and nothing else.

People who care show as much as possible to help others less knowledgeable along the way.

I won't reply to this post any more, as it seems you are too thick skinned and selfish to change, so you all know who is doing this, so it is up to those people to start to get themselves being recognised for what they do for other people rather than what they can do for themselves.
Mind you, I suppose if they started paying for the amount of text you put in a post, those who put nothing normally would fill the pages up with any old crap.

I am locking this thread.
It is starting to degenerate into personal attacks and not discussion.
Gail in NM
Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back