Arduino Rotary Table for Dummies

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember correctly, I hope, the enable is not connected and relies on the driver having it on by default.

I don't know . my driver works & the motor spins doing a tutorial , but just sits there with this project .
for the tutorial it just uses step & direction like the project here
animal

is the stepper harder to turn by hand when it is powered up?

I'll give that a try tonite , so what would that mean ? that the stepper is gettin power ? could the micro stepping switches be off ? heres a copy of the driver board man .
thanks
animal

Attachments

• ST330 Stepper Motor Driver Board User Manual (1).pdf
    946.5 KB · Views: 600
If the motor is powered and enabled it will be difficult to turn by hand. This is true even without the Arduino connected. If it’s still easy to turn you have a problem with the driver/motor/power supply.

Hello, thanks a lot for the very detailed and easy to follow guide... i tried it and worked, the only issue i have is that i do not use a reducer. How should i edit the sketch to avoid it and have 0 reduction?
I am sorry for my bad english.
Thank you very much.

Hello, thanks a lot for the very detailed and easy to follow guide... i tried it and worked, the only issue i have is that i do not use a reducer. How should i edit the sketch to avoid it and have 0 reduction?
I am sorry for my bad english.
Thank you very much.
You will have to change the variable called “TableRatio”. It is currently set for a 36:1 rotary table.
Are you driving a spindle directly from your stepper? If so, there are some other things that need to be done.

John

I have to directly connect the stepper motor to the rotation support... i have no rotation reduction

I have to directly connect the stepper motor to the rotation support... i have no rotation reduction
With no reduction (1:1) the original code will not work.
On the line after where Table Ratio is defined another variable is defined
const int Multiplier = (StepsPerRotation * TableRatio)/360

since it is defined as an integer, StepsPerRotation * TableRatio, must be evenly divisible by 360 to work.

I believe the quick fix was to change it to
const float Multiplier = (StepsPerRotation * TableRatio)/360
i never used this method so I don’t know if there were any other changes required.

a better approach would be to use the modified code posted by
Kquiggle in message 303.

With no reduction (1:1) the original code will not work.
On the line after where Table Ratio is defined another variable is defined
const int Multiplier = (StepsPerRotation * TableRatio)/360

since it is defined as an integer, StepsPerRotation * TableRatio, must be evenly divisible by 360 to work.

I believe the quick fix was to change it to
const float Multiplier = (StepsPerRotation * TableRatio)/360
i never used this method so I don’t know if there were any other changes required.

a better approach would be to use the modified code posted by
Kquiggle in message 303.
Ok, i was able to find a previeus version of the code, the version 5.5 (2018) and worked well for me.

I got mine to work. Then I went to put the controls in a box like Maxmekker50. I used a 4-pin aircraft style plug so I could disconnect the stepper from the controller box. I tested it prior to connecting the motor and everything seemed to work fine. The "Run" led on the TB6560 flashed yellow when the Arduino sent the steps. Then I connected the motor and tried again - nothing. I looked at the 4-pin connector and found a solder bridge. I cleaned it up but nothing, and the "Run" led is now red. Does that mean I fried the board?

It depends on which pins were bridged and the design of the board. It should protect itself against shorts.
Start by checking the power supply voltages and currents.

Dazz

Disconnecting steppers from driver board while powered will blow the driver every time.

No, it's quite simply something one does not do.
Bit like pulling the plug on a large running motor without first dropping the contactor control supply.

Disconnecting steppers from driver board while powered will blow the driver every time.

Except that was not the case here. The system was not energized when the motor was disconnected. The stepper control board had been previously powered without a motor connected for testing purposes several times without issue and was still able to operate the motor afterwards. The only issue occurred after attempting to power the motor with a short in its leads.

Latest posts

Back