Arduino in the shop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebs

Reaction score
I have "played" with the Arduino micro processor for a few years and never had a "real" use application for one until Chuck Fellows rotary table to dividing head. I have used his idea to make many timing pulleys for a 4 axis CNC table top I made from stuff from under the work bench. No plans. It is running GRBL through an Arduino. Next I put together a DRO using igaging scales and an Android tablet running through an Arduino chip also. TouchDRO info and downloads are available for all on line. See a theme yet?

What other uses for the Arduino are there for use in the shop?

I asked for and received a arduino last Christmas and it is still in the box. A year has passed. I guess I could use a little motivation.

archie

Most of the reprap style 3D printers use a arduino mega and some sort of cape.
Ron ginger mentions in another thread he is using one to control a stepper motor for a power feed.
The beagle bones is another one to watch.
tin

I use PIC micro's (sort of the same). A few projects I have done:

-Wireless thermometer using Bluetooth
-Wireless Datalogger using Bluetooth
-SPI LED controller (uses WS2801 LED RGB led controller)
-LiFePO4 Battery controller (something is up with the firmware that I cant find so I just rely on checking the battery once in a while)
-Conceived a Power monitor for the house (haven't implemented it-its only theory)
-Conceived much of the same system as Chuck for controlling a stepper, just different software.
-Played around with the idea of making a motion sensitive sound playing thingy mabob (Highly technical wording right here)
-Various other ideas that didnt make it because of time, and cost. Most of the them are simple enough a 555 timer can be used, or there is specialized hardware (ie LED controller)

These are just some ideas. Check around http://hackaday.com/ for some more interesting stuff. Make magazine also has arduino heavy stuff (http://makezine.com/volume/make-42/).

I also have 32 Bit and 16 bit Microcontrollers just sitting around. Ive played with the 32 bit one, but its a whole different ball game, I have to learn a whole different programming language and register usage to use them. Speaking of registers, if you do get inspired, Read the data sheet for your micro. It may take a few readings, so print them out, sit down and enjoy a hot beverage (or Cold beer). Make/take notes. I know Microchip does a pretty good job at showing what register does what, and they often give source code. Most of the time I print out source code I find on the web, and also print out the page from the data sheet that goes with it, and go line by line to understand what it happening. I have a personal angst against arduino that its users are spoon fed info and assume its correct, and sometimes its not!

I have ordered an Arduino Uno R3, a LCD shield, and the stepper drivers to build a Rotary Table controller as discussed here in another thread. I am also researching other uses and capabilities for the Arduino. Isn't there a board blank available to move the Arduino based project to a permanent setup to free the Uno for further development, or do you just dedicate the Arduino board to the project and buy another for the next one?
I too, have tried PIC based projects, but have been unsuccessful to date. I purchased all the parts to build Kwackers controller, but could never get the PIC to program successfully.

Chuck

I've bought a couple of Chinese R3 clones (not counterfeits but legitimately copied) and they're really cheap. When/if I make something I want to make permanent I'll just buy another clone to drive it.

On the subject of the clones - so far they've performed exactly as expected. I've run through many different programs from the 'how to get started in Arduino' books, and I expect I've used most of the 'normal' functions of the board. So far, so good.

Hi Chuck

Yes there is. Its a blank Arduino Sheild

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/7914
http://www.newark.com/arduino/a0000...44741|plid|&CMP=KNC-GUSA-GEN-SHOPPING-ARDUINO
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...id=630043473&gclid=COCJsMmroMMCFUqVvQodd2oAMQ

There are others on the web (I just got the first few). You can also get a Perf board from Radio Shack and use that.

As far as the PIC goes, if you have the ICSP CLK and ICSP Data reversed the programmer wont recognize the PIC. It also wont recognize the PIC if your using the wrong programmer.

I have ordered an Arduino Uno R3, a LCD shield, and the stepper drivers to build a Rotary Table controller as discussed here in another thread. I am also researching other uses and capabilities for the Arduino. Isn't there a board blank available to move the Arduino based project to a permanent setup to free the Uno for further development, or do you just dedicate the Arduino board to the project and buy another for the next one?
I too, have tried PIC based projects, but have been unsuccessful to date. I purchased all the parts to build Kwackers controller, but could never get the PIC to program successfully.

Chuck
You can make a "Barebones" board with just a few componets for your projects. Program your chip and plug it in to your barebone board. Cost will be less then $10 for a working board. Wire up stepper driver and power, display and switches. You also don't have to use the LCD/button shield, hard wire a LCD 16/2 display for about $7. I found a switch board laid out just like the LCD shield so I didn't have to make a board with all the resistors. The buttons were bigger and spaced a little further apart. See my pictures on Chuck's post. cwebs

I asked for and received a arduino last Christmas and it is still in the box. A year has passed. I guess I could use a little motivation.

archie

Well Archie... any advance on an arduino project yet?

Here's a little free motivation...

Get off you butt!

p.s. I'm working on a multi-function arduino control box for the shop, the control box will be portable and plug into different pieces of hardware around my shop.

Its going to control an indexing head and report on the stepper motor current as well.

In another use it will be a lathe tachometer w/ work piece diameter input from which it shall work piece calculate surface speed so I can easily set optimal cutting speeds.

Well Archie... any advance on an arduino project yet?

Here's a little free motivation...

Get off you butt!

p.s. I'm working on a multi-function arduino control box for the shop, the control box will be portable and plug into different pieces of hardware around my shop.

Its going to control an indexing head and report on the stepper motor current as well.

In another use it will be a lathe tachometer w/ work piece diameter input from which it shall work piece calculate surface speed so I can easily set optimal cutting speeds.
some food for thought D1-4 camlock spindle

parts.jpg

sketch.jpg

some food for thought D1-4 camlock spindle

I like the disk brake idea!

I intend to use a gear drive rather than belt drive indexing head. If I use plain gear stock I bet I can design a hydraulic caliper to fit to the large driven gear.

Latest posts

Back