Arc welding

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

I found this one that sounds ok and falls within budget.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-160n-easi-arc-welder

Just to make sure I e mailed their technical dept and asked if it would run off a standard 13 amp supply. This is their answer.

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your email; the 160N arc welder does require a 230volt single phase but must be 20amps and cannot operate off a 13amp socket.

Hmmmmmmmm. Back to the drawing board.

Cheers

Rich

Rich it might blow the fuse at full power but my brother in law uses the more powerful Clarke 235 on a standard 3-pin without any problems. If you're running off an extension lead make sure it's a hefty one and not a skinny wind-up lead.

A good place to look is the uk mig welding forum www.mig-welding.co.uk, they are very beginner-friendly.

I think this is one are where the UK folks Have a bit of and advantage. US house voltage is mostly 115 volt . Two 115 lines come into the house and each feeds 1/2 of the breaker box. But you can set up a 230 line for heavy duty use like electric ranges electric water heaters and of course welders etc. My little wire feed runs off a 115v 20 amp line. With a IIRC 12 ga extension cord.
Tin

HI I had to say sumthing I have a MiG welder and a arc welder both are from B.O.C and are More than capable of downing all the welding i need the MiG is the same type sold by snap on and i have seen a lot of MiG,s under different brand names the same

0025.jpg

I bought a heavy duty 50' extension cord and a dryer plug and wired it to the welder. I unplug the dryer in the utility room and plug in the welder. The cord reaches through the garage to the driveway.

Hi

So am I right in thinking that it will run off the 13 amp supply then.??

Cheers

Rich

The supply is more than 13amps but if you have a 13amp plugtop on it you will be limited by that size fuse which may blow at the higer power settings on the machine. You could have a 16 or 20 amp socket fitted, best on its own line from your CU with a suitable breaker that won't trip too soon. There are a coupel of other ways to run them from a standard ring main but not to be recommended ;)

Jason

Short answer, yes.

Be interesting to see what the duty cycle of this one is before you jump.

John S.

Any electrical appliance will only pull the power it needs, not the max power.

We don't have different rated circuits here in the UK, we have ring mains and fused plugs on appliances so we can run a 1 amp soldering iron in a double plug and run a 13 amp welder on the other.

Remember we are also running 240 volt here so our 13 amp plugs are equivalent to a 26 amp supply on your 110 volt system.

I know it will work because I have had to do it at times when off site. You just won't be able to use max power.

John S

Hi

Thanks to a nod from John Stevenson I bought one of these, at the price just too good to miss. I haven't had the time to play with it yet but Julian bought one as well and he said it works fine.

Turbo Fan Cooled Arc Welder
£34. 99 each *
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The perfect combination for high performance and versatility. This machine has fully adjustable amperage control, wheels and a handle enabling total portability.

Comprehensive kit includes: hand-held face shield, electrode holder, earth clamp, power leads, chipping hammer/wire brush, electrode starter pack (2 x 1.6mm, 2 x 2.0mm, 2 x 2.5mm, 2 x 3.2mm, 2 x 4mm)
Uses 1.6mm-4.0mm diameter electrodes
Thermal overload protection
Adjustable welding current range: 55-160 amps

Cheers

Rich

glad you found something you like wow for about $ 50 I would set that shield aside for onlookers and get a quick shade auto darkening type shield also get an honest chipping hammer and wire brush . Use the one with the kit till it breaks or wears out .
55 -160 amp is a nice range for a hobby welder.
Happy rod sticking welding.
Tin

All you have to do now is to install a couple of gears and a wiper motor to the control knob and then you have remote control power adjustment "on the fly". :big: :big: :big:

Back