Apprentice Engineer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apprentice

Reaction score
Hello HMEM,

I am an engineering apprentice and have been tasked with establishing a project, over a set period of time. After searching various idea's, I have decided to firmly go with Elmer's Wobbler #25.

This decision was highly influenced by this website and perhaps this project can lead to a new hobby in machining and building model engines.

Ideally, I did not want to register and post just yet, as I wanted to post my finished model engine alonsgide the engineering report and project management report that I am required to write up alongside my 'product' in order to obtain my grade/mark.

Although, I have read quite a few of blogs and descriptions of Elmer's Wobbler - I dont believe any go into a report style detail, in the sense they are more diary styled, intutive and influential posts.
Where as I would like to, hopefully at the end of this project, post both my reports allowing for an in-depth insight into Elmer's Wobbler #25.

So why the early post? I am in need of some help and guidance.

I'm not entirely sure this is the right place to raise questions in relation to my project. But rather introduce myself: I am 22 years old and have recently gained a Level 2 in Performing Engineering Operations in turning, milling, filing and various operations. So I am familar with lathes and tools etc. Also as I am an apprentice, I have access to a range of equipment, materials and workshop. Alongside this I have guidance from my tutors who are extremely competent in maching and ensuring health and safety.

I believe that with this and the help of HMEM community, I can achieve a first project that I can be proud of.

Last edited:
Hi JLR sounds to me like you and I have done the same course although I never did the apprenticeship, if I can help I will but rest assured if I cant there are many great machinists (most of whom Im in envy of) who are willing and able to help out with all sorts of questions even if you think they are silly

Keith

I was in a state of panic just yesterday, I do find Elmer's engineering plans somewhat difficult - but this is due to the engineering drawings that I am familiar with are presented differently.

I think that by registering to this site, I do feel a lot more relaxed. Be sure to follow my progress in the 'Work in progress' section. Got a lot to do if I want to hit my deadline, May 2013.

Cheers Keith. I'm on a BTEC National Diploma Level 3 in Engineering, United Kingdom, Warwickshire.

P.S - any idea how I can change my username (JLR)?

If you want to change your username, send a PM to a forum admin (Austin or Tin Falcon) and let them know what your new name should be. They should be able to do that for you.

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: JLR
Finishing by May shouldn't be too hard. I did mine inside of two weeks, working only in the evenings. It was the first reasonably complex project I had machined and the first with parts that needed to mate together with any real precision. Consequently I was doing a lot of learning about CNC at the same time. Then again, I didn't do any analysis or write any reports either.

I will only have access to the workshop every Thursday and Friday afternoons, plus I wont be allowed in until I have re-engineered designs of the #25.

I am hoping that next Thursday I will be able to finish my CAD of the original designs. Then after the Christmas holidays, I can re-engineer everything and get straight into the workshop for mid January.

P.S - Thayer - I like what you have done with the #25, I cannot wait to re-engineer!

I dont mean to be a buzz kill but the #25 should be far too easy for you. Im a 1st year apprentice myself and ive just started building steves demon v8 engine with the hope of a decent challenge. Im not necessarily suggesting that you take on a v8 but at least consider a Poppin vacuum engine or any of elmers engines that aren't a wobbler. The poppin was my first engine and its by far more interesting that a wobbler and is really not much more complicated. Adding to that theres a lot of aspects on it that could be "re-engineered" to your liking. Trust me its sooo nice not having to have a boiler or have find an air supply to run it, you just light a wick and your away. Something to consider anyway
Best of luck

Don't worry, I'm conscious that being a second year apprentice, I have only the one day at college and the four other days are at my work placement; which requires me to learn six-sigma problem solving principles, along with lean techniques and various projects.

As far as machining goes, I'm only trained to Level 2, also I have no prior engineering background.

I currently have six projects, this will be my first machining project.

Hi JLR.
No worries.Scream and many forum members will repond.
Like you I did my ONC in Engineering and went on to do HND part time evenings only. That was many years ago-------1972. Did two years of trade school with 4 hours of workshop practice in metal turning/milling/shaping,welding,brazing,forging and sheet metal.Was fun taking workshop projects thru turning,milling and shaping.

JLR : I am not sure what is expected from you for this project and the definition of "Re-engineering. Are you expected to improve performance and change bore stroke etc??
I have redesigned engines. I made this engine mostly to the print.
thumb2_lucy_2.JPG

then I redesigned it as vertical engine and made this.

cory2.JPG

then the wife wanted a heart shaped engine . so same plan set upside down vertical that came out like so.

Rosie_2.JPG

the main change here is orientation of the pivot and crank and the design of the frame . stroke bore and valving the same on all engines.
Thought this example may help inspire you.
The original plan was ed Warren Lucy design . It was and I think still is floating around the web and has been redrwn at least once.
Tin

Tin they look amazing!

In relation to 're-engineering', I would like to keep to Elmer's design style. However I will be changing dimensions and adding tolerances (this i beleive to be thr tricky part - as if wrong, then the operation of the wobbler would fail).

But - yes. I will be taking into account bore stroke and performance.

As I am report writing at the same time, I'm trying to focus on that particular area - according to my 'Table of Contents', re-engineering is my next phase.

At this exact moment I am writing about Elmer's Wobbler, currently explaing the oscilliating movement.

I was wondering is this all that needs to be mentioned in relation to operation. As I believe bore stroke and performance, belong to 'calculations' rather than 'operation' - perhaps the counterweight and flywheel should be highlighted in terms of operation of the #25?

Cheers Gus, HMEM guys are extremely supportive. I have already mention HMEM community in my acknowledgements!

Back