AOL ends its web site hosting at the end of October

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
One of my former web site clients contacted me this evening in a panic. He's always insisted that his web site be hosted on AOL, mostly because of his comfort with their system. He received official notice today that AOL is shutting down their "Hometown" Web hosting and FTP services the last day of October 2008. They will continue offering Email and AIM, but they are dumping the user generated web sites.

While one doesn't see all that many AOL hosted web sites, these days, many still use their FTP space for Ebay photos and other file storage needs. If you happen to be among those who do so, you might want to take action to save your files locally and find them a new home server. Photobucket is one available option.

I fianlly got the guy calmed down by assuring him that even though we might not still be actively associated, I do still have back up copies of all the important files he'll need to make the move, should he encounter problems. It's something I still do for even my earliest clients. After talking him through what he'll need to do, I think he'll sleep easier tonight.

Thought I'd mention it here, just in case it effected any of the members here.

Steve

Latest posts

Back