Anzani 3 cylinder radial - compressed air

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I'm considering this engine finished, although, like most of my engines, I will most likely always be tweaking and changing things a bit. For those of you who might think my engine mount resembles the lid of a crypt with a tombstone, my wife already pointed that out to me. Wasn't my intent, just turned out that way.

The curved bottom of the base was inspired by some of the excellent models made by Tom Hall. It is made from a 1.75 inch diameter steel pipe, split lengthwise into quarters. The ends were then mitred and all pieces welded together. Lots and lots of grinding and sanding got it to resemble a casting rather than being built up by welding. The top of the base is made from 1/4" cold finished steel, rounded on all edges and welded to the mitred frame. The upright is made from 3/8" thick aluminum angle. The base took me 3 full days to complete. Usually I just throw something together, but since my models spend a lot of static time being admired on the shelves of my study, I decided to make it "pretty".

One bit of serendipity is that this engine idles and runs kind of rough, missing a lick now and then and generally sounding like it needs a tuneup. I find this to be amazingly like many of the videos of old radial engines running on youtube. Almost sounds like it has a 3/4 cam in it. It's also kind of hard to start sometimes, kicking back and endangering my prop spinning finger. Not sure how I managed this bit of realism, but I'll take it!

In retrospect, the cam assembly, lifters, pushrods, rocker arms and valve assemblies added a huge amount of complexity to the build compared to the much simpler valving mechanism of my opposed 4. But, perhaps the visuals and the irregular running make it all worth it. Now if I could just get it to backfire occasionally...

bd0591b0.jpg

81f969af.jpg

dc5065a2.jpg

e750d88a.jpg

e4b58108.jpg

772bd8ae.jpg

b86671ae.jpg

515cff2f.jpg

381fbb78.jpg

d0d57f89.jpg

acf43a04.jpg

This is my first video. I noticed later, after I had uploaded the video, that one of the pushrods was dislodged from the lifter, so the engine is only running on 2 cylinders.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbuiCROHeVY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbuiCROHeVY[/ame]

This is the second video, taken with a different camera and with the engine running on all three cylinders.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIYcx4-uyYE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIYcx4-uyYE[/ame]

As a recap, the engine has a bore and stroke of 5/8" x 5/8". It is 4 stroke in operation with each cylinder "firing" on every other revolution. The cam has 2 lobes 180 degrees apart and turns at 1/4 the RPM of crankshaft. Two sets of gears, each reducing the speed by 1/2, are positioned so that the cam sits on and is concentric to the crankshaft. The propeller is made of from a steel bar, 1" x 1/4" x about 10" long.

Chuck

Good Job Chuck. That's a nice runner. Sounds good to, and i really like the base! :bow:

Chuck

Great job, from conception to completion. Every one that followed this must have learned something. I know I did. Thanks for taking the extra effort to show us all this unique engine.

Jerry

Excellent job Chuck and I agree , the sound is great. Thanks for the ride along and the instruction.

Ron

Chuck,
Beautiful job on the build thread and the finished engine. It sure have a nice sound to it as well !! Well done!

Bill

great work one again chuck the base is a work of art
Tin

Another great design, beautifully executed.

Sounds awesome!

Congratulations Chuck.

Chuck

Another good-looking, good sounding engine. I like the base too!

Joe

Chuck, Great work, and a great sound. Really enjoy your work. and how to's. larry

What an outstanding looking and sounding engine Chuck! BRAVO! In one of your last updtaes towards the end of the build, you had an image of the engine pretty much done except for the intake plumbing and I wondered to myself, "how in the name of Zuess is he going to do that?" Well now we know the rest of the story (yeah I know, P. Harvey) and I like it! Truly a creation of art and a labor of love. Well done. :bow:

BC1
Jim

Very nice Chuck.
Gail in NM

That is one nice outcome. sounds just like I would expect if it were running gas and had 3 sparkplugs. John

Great looking engine Chuck and sounds incredible!!!!
Well dome

John

That is absolutely fantastic. Well done. just be sure to keep your fingers clear of the propellor! :)

That is a nice engine Chuck, very nice indeed........I'd like to build one of those....... you know, if had some plans or something.......hmmmm.....hey Chuck do I remember in your thread, that you might put some drawings together and post in the Plans?......Hmmm.....probably would make a nice project.......hmmmm.......well, maybe I'll hint around or something.......hmmm.....Nice job Chuck and it sounds GREAT!!!.....hmmmmm......hmmm.....Well if anyone else would like to hint around to Chuck about plans, now might be a good time........Hmmmmm.....hmmmm
Good job Chuck
John

that is sweet, sure sound like a real on to, you do good work and really think them though, hope I make it to retirement going to do what you do, build and enjoy, hope to be as good as you, thanks for sharing, Lathe Nut

Thanks, all, for the kind comments. Unfortunately, drawings will not be forthcoming for the engine, at least in it's current form. The rocker arm mounts, the inlet manifold, and some other parts got too complicated near the end and I'm not real happy with them. The overhead valves work reasonably well, but are very sensitive to adjustment. They also have a tendency to stick.

I'm considering making some serious changes to simplify things. I may get rid of the overhead valves, push rods, and complicated cam gearing in favor of a rotary, tube valve arrangement like I used on the opposed 4. It would make things a lot more reliable and a lot easier to build. That might result in some drawings for other folks to follow.

Chuck

That is very very cool. Looks great, I love how you cleverly designed the base.

Latest posts

Back