Anyone inthe Tyler Texes area?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryK

Reaction score
I have always wanted to get into casting.

Is there anyone in the Tyler TX area that might be able to help me out?

Also are there any suppliers in the area for the material I'll be needing? It seems that the materials are voluminous and heavy, which would cost me for shipping.

Thanks,
Gary

I have always wanted to get into casting.

Is there anyone in the Tyler TX area that might be able to help me out?

Also are there any suppliers in the area for the material I'll be needing? It seems that the materials are voluminous and heavy, which would cost me for shipping.

Thanks,
Gary

I am in the area, but don't have any answers about local suppliers. I have been keeping dead hard drives for the aluminum cases to some day do some casting, so I am also interested. You might check with some local casting/forging companies ... Southwest Steel Casting in Longview (http://www.swscc.com/) may have discarded casting sand. I've read that many casting companies dump/discard the sand with many pieces of broken molds in it, but it's usable if you sift out the mold pieces and other foreign matter. Another local company is Longview Brass & Aluminum (http://www.lbafoundry.com/)

Another Gary

Gary,

Thanks for the links. I finally found someone with something. They have castable refractory cement, fire bricks and can get fire clay but the don't stock it.

Hi Temp Systems in longview.

Looks like they have everything I need to make my furnace.

Do you do any casting?

Gary

Hi, don't know exactly what you are looking for, but there is Freeman Supply in Fort Worth. They have supplies for making patterns and probably have refactory and other stuff. Try a ceramics supplier they have all the stuff you need for a furnace. There are places in Houston to get crucibles, I highly recommend the carbide ones, If you have ever seen one break you'll know why. Google foundry suppliers in Houston. For sand I like petrobond, but I had a guy make mine. You can get it from Budget Casting Supply, but it's pricey. You can make your own tongs and crucible bails etc. if you can weld. If not, these will probably be the most expensive part of the game. You can make your own flasks and pattern boards. Get the Chastain books, they are exactly what you need for the home foundry.

maury
www.lonestarengineworks.com

Latest posts

Back