anyone interested in a radial team buid

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope ... been very quiet. Just hoping the parts are in the mail. :shrug:

Pat H.

Hi guys,

parts are done and will hit the mail Sunday or Monday. Sorry about the delay - travel caught up with me and kept me out of the shop before I could finish up. :(

I'll post a picture or 2 tomorrow.

Mike

t_ottoboni ... got your part. Nice job. :bow:

Also nice key chain ... :)

Down to one part and looks like Mike will be sending it Monday. :)
Should have it in a couple of weeks. Thm:

Thanks for the update.

Pat H.

So got the crankcase today and it looks pretty good :)
Just a few notes, I think you may have forgotten to deill a few holes (see pic)
Also a few of the parts need a bit of tweeking to fit properly (and we all were expecting that, its part of the build)

Just waiting on the bases and hardware :) and this thing will be togeather! so excited!

Here is a few spoiler pics.
note the crank has been filed a little so that is dosnt bind when togeather.

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

ME TOO! ME TOO! Got a crankcase in the mail yesterday.... woohoo1

Nice job, Mike. Getting anxious to start putting this together.

Joe

i am recovering bit slowly from the fall with the bike. developed pneumonia but that's almost fought with the meds now. ill get the bases and screws out within two-three weeks now. i am very sorry bout the delay, i hate keeping others waiting.
Pascal

pcw said:
i am recovering bit slowly from the fall with the bike. developed pneumonia but that's almost fought with the meds now. ill get the bases and screws out within two-three weeks now. i am very sorry bout the delay, i hate keeping others waiting.
Pascal

Not to worry ... take care of yourself.

The parts can wait but your body won't ... gets lots of rest and you can finish them up when you are able. ;)

Pat H.

The crankcase arrived yesterday and I couldn't help stacking on as many parts as would stay put. Starting to think
about a mount, anyone have an idea?

Maverick

Dale

How can you do this to us? stickpoke Where's the PHOTOs Man! :big:

glad to hear that you've got a runner.

cheers, Joe

Guys,

As Chris pointed out I didn't drill the three holes for the port flange - as per Pats reccomendation that the final assembler mark them out just incase as the tolerance for the countersunk holes to line up the port flange would be really tight.

Also - don't forget to drill a breather hole for the crankcase. I didn't put one in at all to leave it to the builders imagination on where / what to use as a breather (no one is supplying the breather cap shown in the drawings).

Dale - where are the pictures? th_wwp I was scrounging in my bin of assorted screws last night and I finally found enough M3 screws to put it together but I needed to go to bed after that...

Mike

Has everyone received their crank cases yet? I am still waiting. Does anybody know what is happening to the bases? Are we making those ourselves.

warranator said:
Has everyone received their crank cases yet? I am still waiting. Does anybody know what is happening to the bases? Are we making those ourselves.

I received mine some time ago ... I was under the impression that all crankcases were sent out.
I wonder if the mail system mess up. ???

I haven't had much time to do anything with my collection of parts. :(

I guess the base will be sent when Pascal is up to it.
No one was assigned the base so it is something each of can design and build, shouldn't be too hard.

Hope you get your parts soon. :)

Pat H.

I've just about got the pile of parts assembeled into an engine and was wondering if anyone has come up with
a novel idea to mount it to the base? An air supply line with valve will be next.

Maverick

Hi Sorry to inform you with bad news .Pascal has passed away he was to have made the bases and supply the screw for our engines . My my best to his family and friends . Dale

There has been a fair bit of bad luck during this build. RIP Pascal.

I've managed to get my engine to run - how many others have so far? Here is a video of it - the sound and picture quality aren't great but I'll work on those skills later...

[ame]http://youtu.be/WZHkIj9Rhsg[/ame]

It runs but leaks a lot of air past the valve, a little less when the air is admitted through the rear port versus the side port.

I got mine to run after allot of fine tuning. The rotary valve is way to touchy for my liking. I had it too tight when I first put it together - the motor would barely turn over with the valve in place. This is from memory and may be wrong but: I think I lapped the valve on a surface plate but took off a tiny bit too much and it ran but leaked badly - wouldn't self start and the air would run right through the valve / steam chest to the exhaust port without ever going to the cylinders. Then I took off the steam chest and skimmed it by as small a cut as I could take with my baby lathe and tried again, removed then lapped the steam chest until I got it to be just barely too tight to allow for brake in. I may have had to do something about the 3 small 2-56 screws holing the valve plate to the crankcase - I may have lapped the whole thing as an assembly (valve plate and crankcase) to get rid of a couple of high spots, and I may have opened up the countersinks for those 3 screws to let the screw sit down a touch more...

It runs OK now and self starts in forward or reverse most times (except when the video camera is out!) but I think the valve needs a better seal (maybe a groove on the face on both sides for a Teflon o-ring or similar - ie slippery but slightly compliant.) Otherwise I think it needs too much oil for those surfaces to slide and not leak.

I think I will hook up a proper intake and exhaust line to quiet it down some too - its really very quiet without all that air leaking by...
Thanks to everyone on this build - it was fun and a great learning experience.

Mike

Great job Mike, nice looking engine. And thanks for the valve tuning info, it will be needed. What kind of
fasteners are you using? How about the mount, any ideas?

Regards,
Mike

Latest posts

Back