anyone interested in a radial team buid

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. Have the plans now, they wouldn't download with google chrome for some reason.

****....Can see why no one volunteered to do the crank shafts. I reckon I could give them a go. Few questions though.

1) Does anyone have a picture of this crank finished, it's easier to visualize.
2) What do the holes do?
3) What is the length of the crank journal?

The crank return looks easy enough but I can't picture it, would prefer to see a pic of it if possible.

Answer to warrentor ?

1) Does anyone have a picture of this crank finished, it's easier to visualize.

100_3136.jpg

2) What do the holes do?

The holes are oil feeds to the bearings

3) What is the length of the crank journal?

19mm

The crank return looks easy enough but I can't picture it, would prefer to see a pic of it if possible.

100_3222.jpg

It fit here locating on the drive flats on the crank

100_3228.jpg

The crank and the return crank have a couple of features that are critical to the engine timing, their function is not obviouse so I'll explain:- the crank has two flats to drive the return crank, the orientation of these flats is important. The return crank has a small 3mm dia pin that drives the orbital valve if you look at the drawing note it's position to the rest of the crank this position is important to time the engine.

If you look back in the thread there is a link to the engine build on madmodder.

Stew

Thanks for the pictures Stew. I'm making the con rods and it 's always nice to get an eyeball
on the part. The drawings are very tidy and easy to read, just one question so far. Is there a thread
on the end of the crankshaft for the flywheel nut?

Regards,
Mike

? Is there a thread on the end of the crankshaft for the flywheel nut?

Yes M8

Stew

Ok so Warranator will do the crank and return crank
and if path and T_ottoboni split the #6cylinder #7 liners #9 pistons we can get on with this.

It looks like we will do 10 engines.

If were all good say ok and we'll get going.

chris

Thanks Stew, I couldn't find it on the print. Stands to reason it should match the nut.
Team-I'll start on the connecting rods first. The bushing stock will be here this week. What is
Our time line on this build? How about fast enough to keep it interesting but not so fast to take away the fun.

Regards,
Mike

Chris:

I'm good with ten. Lets get going!

Cheers, Joe

I know everyone is probably very anxious to start making chips ... I know I am.
But we need to pause a moment (actually a day or so) and go over a few potentially issues.
I feel that we need get these out of the way before starting rather than having surprises after a build.

I'm almost finished with the drawings. Once I finish a drawing, I then insert into an assembly drawing to see how it fits with the other parts.

I would like some more time to finish this part of the project ... but I need a day or so.
Stew has been very helpful and quick in response to my questions and I don't think I will have too many more ... but let's be the safe side.

Comments...

Pat

I'm OK with making 5 sets of #9 pistons, #7 liners and #6 cylinders (total of 15 of each part) plus #1 Steam chest cover (10 parts)

Path is right about taking it more slowly now, so I'll wait for this final plans to start making chips ;D
The only thing I'll start right now is look for the materials needed for those parts!

Very nice to see how this Team Build is going on!

Thanks for the pics.

Yeah all good on my side to make the crank and and crank return. The drawings do not have tolerances. Will they be added to the updated edition.?

Oh just to be clear 10 off crank and 10 off crank return and maybe a couple spare as the machine will just spit them out anyway once set.

Ok Path heres the whole team waitin on you ( no pressure)lol
It all sounds good to me,
What kind of time line ,well I think that before Christmas is a good one. That leaves 4 months BUT LETS SHOOT FOR NOVEMBER (what you think?)

chris

stevehuckss396 said:
Parts in the mail by November 30th

I think we should send the parts directly to the other builders. To send them to a person who would then send them again just doesn't make sense.

Agreed. 3months should be plenty.

I forgot to mention that I ordered a bunch of bearings today, they should be here by Thursday so when get them I will give an accurate measurement of the inside ( mate for the crank)

November 30th sounds like a long time but I guess most or all of you are making these parts manually. 30th November is fine with me..

November 30th is fine for me! But I'll do my best to send the parts as soon as possible!

Back