anyone interested in a radial team buid

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys

The manufacture of the crankcase can be simplyfied if you can drop on some 1 3/4" hax bar, failing that it will have to be 2" dia stuff.

Stew

Path said:
Update on drawings and other issues ..

I'm almost finished #18 Crank Case drawing.

I had a few questions so I emailed Stewart and he was very helpful.

We need to decide what to use for the M2 & M3 screws. Finding the matching metric screws
and taps with the same pitch may be a bit of a problem. Taps are in the $15 and up range.

So we should consider using 2-56 and 4-48, if someone will look into this so I can get back
on the drawings I sure would appreciate it. I haven't look into "8BA" thing yet. Once a decision is made
I can change the drawings.

Also, Stewart suggested that we use long screws (cut the heads off) as they are much cheaper than the rods.

Does anyone know Solidworks? I'm having a little trouble with some of the views.

The next drawing will be item #14 Main Bearing Housing this should be much easier and
will start the assembly process.

Later,

Pat H.

i will suply all nuts, washers and threaded rod for the engines. if i know who will assemble all engines, i can send in m3 tap too since the are bit cheaper here. cant see use of m2 in drawing, am i missing something?
Pascal

pcw said:
if i know who will assemble all engines,

When the parts were finished for TB4 we had a list of addresses for all members. I sent my parts directly to the other builders. When all my parts showed up I assembled my own engine. That's part of the fun.

Chris

1-3/4 hex bar is $50 a foot plus shipping. I live less than 10 miles from 4 major metal suppliers. If you want to change my part to the crankcase I can probibly get the best price and avoid shipping. Unless someone already has a piece on hand.

t_ottoboni said:
--------Since I'm doing parts 20 and 21, --------

I think that part 20,21,22 should be kept togeather ifthats alright wth you guys.

About the liners: Could I use trunk shocks for them? They're perfect for this (chrome inside and 16mm bore), and i can buy many of them, so I could be one of the 3 person needed for cylinders, liners and pistons (i could do 12 of each, in total of 4 groups of cylinders)!
If it will work and the others are ok with it so am I
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the parts were finished for TB4 we had a list of addresses for all members. I sent my parts directly to the other builders. When all my parts showed up I assembled my own engine. That's part of the fun.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes thats how we should dothisbuid well, When assembleing it nice to see ho the other parts were machined,as well as undertandin te engine design.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Chris

1-3/4 hex bar is $50 a foot plus shipping. I live less than 10 miles from 4 major metal suppliers. If you want to change my part to the crankcase I can probibly get the best price and avoid shipping. Unless someone already has a piece on hand.

So I can change you to the crankcase? and take you off the rods?

I may have hex stock for the crankcases and most certianly have 2" round. I'll have to check at the shop tomorrow.
The stock I'm using for the flywheels is leftover from TB5, So I could do the crankcases as well.
I also have the metric taps so we can build to print.

Regards,
Mike

I will start on 12 oak baseplates and think of nice brass plate to go with it. what will be best, send to each builder one of them, or send them to one central member?
ill go get the nuts and washers to send out with them.
first team build for me, i am all excited, hope you are all too. lets make it a good one :)
Pascal

About the liners: Could I use trunk shocks for them? They're perfect for this (chrome inside and 16mm bore), and i can buy many of them, so I could be one of the 3 person needed for cylinders, liners and pistons (i could do 12 of each, in total of 4 groups of cylinders)!

I don't have any issues with using truck shocks if it is okay to have an Aluminum Piston against a Chrome wall?? ???
However ... You will need to change the piston diameter to match the 16mm bore and the Gudgio (item #8). My pistons/liners would not be changed. And, I guess that would be okay. But the OD of the liner can't be changed (the wall thickness from 1.585 to 1.525 to me is okay) as that would require a change to the Crank Case opening and that would be too much of a change.

i will suply all nuts, washers and threaded rod for the engines. if i know who will assemble all engines, i can send in m3 tap too since the are bit cheaper here. cant see use of m2 in drawing, am i missing something?
Pascal

The M2 is used on the Crank Case pg 3 zone B4, those holes mount item #21 Port Flange which uses the 8BA Counter Sunk Screws.

Thanks for the offer for the M3 tap, I think I can find a fellow machinist that has a set. ;)

Pat H.

Sorry, late to the party as usual. Computer virus messed up the machine bad enough to require a total wipe of the drive and reload of the OS.

I'm running short on time these days, so I will have to bow out of the build. Hope you guys have a successful team effort, and look forward to seeing the results posted.

How would you guys feel about a brass crankcase? I have a 2" bar of brass out in the garage. I gave $20 for it many years ago. Beats spending $100 for aluminum hex and would look cool as hell polished?

stevehuckss396 said:
How would you guys feel about a brass crankcase? I have a 2" bar of brass out in the garage. I gave $20 for it many years ago. Beats spending $100 for aluminum hex and would look cool as hell polished?

Great ... go for it! :big:

Pat H.

Steve,brass would look great and contrast nicley with the aluminum cyinders. Chris, are the connecting rods back on the list?
If so, I'd like to take care of them as well as the flywheels.

Regards,
Mike

stevehuckss396 said:
Yep! I'll do the crankcases. I should be able to make 15 Pcs from a 2 foot piece. I'll see about getting some tomorrow.

I too think that polished brass would look sweet!!

Hey guys I am interested in this build but I live in Australia, will this be a problem? Do you have enough people on this build? I cannot find the plans, can someone please post the link.

If I was involved, small pieces with big quantities would suite me as I would do them on a cnc repetition machine..

If nobody else shows up to join this TB, I could do the remaining set of #6 cylinder #7 liners #9 pistons. So Path would do one set (11 of each part) and I would the other two sets (22 of each part).
I'm SO excited to start this Team Build!

How is the metric/imperial decision going?

chrispare..ontario .....................bearing housing with bearings #13,#14,#15 spacer
stevehuckss396.. MI USA.......#18 crankcase
maverick..colorado,usa............#10 flywheel #11 nut #12 collett, con rods #2,#17
path..usa.............................#6cylinder #7 liners #9 pistons
dalem9..??............................#4 cylinder head #5 cylinder boss #3 air tubes
pcw in the Netherlands...........wood bases #24 studs,nits,screws
T_ottoboni in Brazil................#1 steam chest cover #6cylinder #7 liners #9 pistons
joe d... montreal Ont...............#20 steam chest #21port flange#22 orbital valve
warranator said:
Hey guys I am interested in this build but I live in Australia, will this be a problem? Do you have enough people on this build? I cannot find the plans, can someone please post the link.

If I was involved, small pieces with big quantities would suite me as I would do them on a cnc repetition machine..
could you do the crankshaft and return crank??

t_ottoboni said:
If nobody else shows up to join this TB, I could do the remaining set of #6 cylinder #7 liners #9 pistons. So Path would do one set (11 of each part) and I would the other two sets (22 of each part).
I'm SO excited to start this Team Build!

How is the metric/imperial decision going?

If you guys could do that we can start the build real soon!!

Ok so we now have 9 members,, so lets do 10 engines ,1 extra to go to any shows for a year then auction it off to go to a chairity (My daughter has Cystic Fibrosis so my vote would be for that one)

we still need a few more parts done, Steve will you do a breather with the crankcase?

So we just need
#6 cylinder #7 liners #9 pistons (need 1 more member)
#16 cankshaft #19 return crank

Any more ideas?

Just a little more time then we can get to it.
Then once your done the parts all can pm me your snail mail and I will make a list and pm it out to all members, or you can mail me the parts and I will mail to all members its up to you.

So to clairify we will do 9 engines to the list above, does it look right tall of you?
Am I missing anything?

Not sure if it is me but I don't seem to see a set of plans/dwgs, just a pic of the motor. Potty three cylinder radial in downloads.

Latest posts

Back