Anyone in the Casper Wyoming area??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccstudent

Reaction score
Just looking for someone in the casper wyoming area that might be interested in a team build/ helping a newbie understand more about the engines on here. I'm a visual learner. and after looking at numerous drawings, still dont quite get it.

Kurt

Kurt,
I'm southeast of Denver so not so close, but feel free to hit me up with
questions. As always, specifics and drawings make it easier to answer
but I'll give anything a shot.

Regards,
Maverick

Will do thank you for the reply. maybe once i get a little more experience and get a few engines under my belt, we can do a team build. shipping stuff/parts from here to denver via usps isnt very much. depending on the weight but a scaled down engine made of aluminum and brass isnt that heavy.

I'm a visual learner. and after looking at numerous drawings, still dont quite get it.

CC what is it you do not get. ask specific questions here. and people will help with answers.Do No not feel bad about not getting it. I have looked at many plans and asked myself why a particular part was designed a certain way when there are easier( IMHO) ways of making the same part.
I to have looked at a plan and had no clue of how the engine works.
Here is an animation of how an oscillating steam engine works

http://www.animatedengines.com/oscillatingsteam.html

re draw the parts with a 3-d drafting program if you can get access to one. IIRC alire still offers free trial use. for 30 or more days. and you may be able to get hold of an educational copy of solid works through your school.
I suggest redrawing each part on a index card anyway to help get the design in your head and it more portable and keeps the original good print out of the shop. not a big deal with free internet plans but you do not want a $ 50 plan book ruined by shop use. (this is a Elmer Versburg recommendation).

as far as the basic machining there are a number of links of basics in the getting started thread.

So here is my suggestion pick a seeming very simple plan set that others have built like the LMS oscilator or the McCabe runner. And build it . One part at a time. if you Have a problem or question ask.
if you want built the frame and cylinder out of Lucite you will really be able to understand how things work.

tin

Thank you Tin. My biggest problem is all through high school with AutoCad and now reading plans off Solidworks. Its very difficult to understand the plans off John-tom. They are very cluttered and most of the time only have one view on the part as opposed to Solidworks where you have the top bottom and right view with an ortho projection (depending on who draws them most of the time its third angle).

I got the free version of AutoCad 2013 but not using AutoCad for three years has made that software almost useless to me. I will look into getting a free version of Solidworks.

Thanks
Kurt

I do see your Dilema. I took drafting classes in JR High and HS (all on paper with a t square and triangle. ). later engineering graphics again some pencil and paper drawing and a little autocad. I am very used to a front view top and one side. That is the way I learned. but if drawing with Alibre I do throw a 3 -d view in as well.
if clutter is a problem take a look here:

http://littlemachineshop.com/Products/Drawings/2593OscillatingEngineAssembly.pdf
nice and clean one part per page no 3-d pics but much better than some of the old scanned stuff.
maybe I will try to re draw the McCabe runner plans. nice engine but all parts on one page and yes cluttered.
I think you are just spoiled .
Tin

Spoiled no. with the times and technology yes hahaha thank you for the link. If I had been trained to read blueprints like the ones found on John-tom I would have no problems but the brain is fixed and it knows what its like.

CC I did mean spoiled by modern technology and conveniences specifically CAD.

there is nothing wrong with these new and modern methods but from the hobby perspective there are times the old ways serve us just as well if not better.
tin

well hell ya the old times are better. thats why there is this website devoted to them!!! :D old stuff rocks. but new technology to help make old stuff is even more cool :)

I'm north of Denver if your still looking for a build team, I might be interested. I came across some stuff that looked like they would be fun to learn on.

I would be interested in a team build in the near future. I don't find location too much of an issue when considering shipping as the USPS has flat rate boxes. I would like to get involved in a team build similar to the Sterling engine that is the project of the month.

Back