Anyone have a site where you sell things and what software to you build the site

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now I helped rick get this site started in 2007 and think it has been very successful. Forums are easy but an E commerce is way more work.

Now my woman wants a site to sell things. She woke my hung over ass and told me she has a web site and wants me to do all the tech work. I told her " thanks alot, you should talk to me first"
but its too late now.

Anyway I want some drag and drop web site building software so I can update it and also get paid in a secure manner, I dont want to eat my few brain cells trying to code it all. Im getting too old for that.

We will concentrate on yard art, kinetic art and wind spinners and wind chimes. maybe a section to sell sail boats and motor homes and trailers for people, you know all the good stuff you buy but dont use.

I got roped into this with no input from me but here I have it in my lap.

Any advice would help, thank you in advance.

A few months ago I was conscripted to help my wife design a website for her garden club. I have done websites before, both work and home related and my tool of choice was Dream Weaver by Adobe which is considered by many to be the de facto web design tool. However, my version of it was left in the dust with Windows 7 and 64 bit operating systems and I wasn't about to fork over five or six hundred bucks for a fresh copy. I had to look around for something that would be cost effective and relatively easy for someone 66 years old who is smart but not a computer power user (wifey, not me - I'm not that smart).

After a lot of research, including experimenting with online design programs such as Webs, I came across Site Spinner which is a standalone program. This one is easy to use, well documented, well supported and at only $49, very affordable and very tweakable. I was surprised at how much you can do and how easy it is to use. The wife now has a beautiful, functional website and she did a lot of it by herself. It is scheduled to go "live" in a week or so.

My suggestion is to include Site Spinner in your research.

I have used NAMO WebEditor for years. It is from Korea and I am now using Version 9
Easy to learn, easy to use, extremely flexible. From the simplest to most complicated sites, all are possible using NAMO. You can download a trial version from their site as well.

Some background: Back in 1985 I discovered NAMO. At that time I became a BETA tester for the product. There was lot of difficulty getting Korean's to understand how to write things in English. By 1990 it was a full fledged product, one of the most popular of the time.

My web site and several others I maintain are all in NAMO

I still find it better than all the others.

Good luck with your search,

A few years back my better half wanted a website for her then business :-\

I bought a book SAMS Teach Yourself to Create Web Pages, ISBN 0-672-31716-8, complete with CD and using Microsoft Front Page away I went.

No sooner had I finished my "Masterpiece" when she decided to close her business :eek:

Anyway if I can make a site................Front page must be an easy way of doing it.

Just my 2 Bob's worth and worth exactly what you paid for it ;)

Best Regards
Bob

Outsource the E-commerce part. Usually whoever is hosting the web site can handle it.

Much less hassle and way less heartburn over every last security detail.

FWIW, I went to http://www.weebly.com and created a website for free. I sell my engine plans from this site. I only had to pay for a Domain name, I went through Go-Daddy for that.

I thought the weebly site was somewhat easy to use, but was limited in features. You can check out what I did in about 3 hours at http://www.burleighmachine.com/

Kel

Latest posts

Back