• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Anyone experience of the book "Machine Shop Trade Secrets"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Mickey

Reaction score
Has anyone here bought or know of the book "Machine Shop Trade Secrets" by James A Harvey?

MM

Yes and all I can say is save your money. There are a lot better books out there.

This is just my opinion.

One you can fine on e-bay or Amazon is (Machining Fundamentals) by John R. Walker. I got mine off of e-bay for $10.00 US.

Richard

I have the book too. The intended audience seems to be the production floor so I can't comment on that. As for model engineering...I think there's better resources (such as this forum).

I have the book and I like it, I go back and review it from time to time when I have a set up problem or just need to jog my memory. It has a lot of helpful information I think.

I'm with Rolland and Zee. It's not a model-engineering book, it's a machine shop book. It does that very well, in the form of hundreds of little tips-- so you need to know your way around machines to begin with or it won't be very useful, but I find myself re-reading it quite a bit and catching a neat idea here or there. The closer your machines are to full-size machines, and the more equipment (surface grinders, cutter grinders, big RT's, cold saws, etc) you use, the more useful it'll be.

I liked it too!

Lots of time savers and right-way-to-do-its.

Best,

BW

I'm with Bob. I found numerous handy tips in the book. It does lean to the production floor, but his set up advice has saved my bacon on occasion. I dig for information where I can find it and he does offer a wide range of things to think about.

Steve

Hi All
Seeing that your on the subject of how to books, There's and excellent (IMHO) book by Tom Lipton called "METALWORKING SINK OR SWIM" covers a lot of different subjects and lots of photos. (1000 photos) 8)

Roland

Roland, glad you brought up Lipton's book. It's also excellent. Trying to decide, but I think I liked it better than Machine Shop Trade Secrets.

I got both at the local Borders or Barnes and Noble, so there's a good chance you can get to see them and decide what you think.

Cheers,

BW

Many thanks for the replies so far. There seems to be quite a few positive responses of late so I suppose its all about 'the eyes of the beholder'. I suppose its now over to disposable income.

I also bought this book. I have mixed feelings after I went through this book. This book is not for the downright novice..this forum does a better job than the book.
Bambata42.(Peter)

Latest posts

Back