Anyone built the Kerzel or Webster engine?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10K Pete

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
After benefiting from a ton of knowledge on this site, doing a bunch of research
on different engines and casting kits for engines (expensive!!!), this financially
challenged hacker is closing in on engines made from what's at hand in the
material heap, or mostly so.

I've found three engines that so far look good:

1) The Tiny IC by putputman (may be too small for me to do).

2) The Kerzel engine, which seems quite do-able.

3) The Webster engine, which is slightly unconventional in the frame.

Now, I realize that I can take a bit of license with a given design but I'm
curious if any of you have any particular likes or dislikes about either
the Webster or the Kerzel engine.

EDIT: Can't sleep tonight... going through the drawings for the Webster, Kerzel and
Upsure engines to see what the compression ratios are. Found the Kerzel to be
6.4:1 which sounds about right, but adding up the drawing dimensions for the
the others I get nonsense; 3.2:1 for the Upsure and 2.3:1 for the Webster! If I add
.384" to the length of the con rod for the Webster then it's 6.5:1.
Didn't do the rod for the Upsure.

Has anyone found errors in either the Upsure or Webster dwgs. or am I just too
tired to figure it out? I went over each engine two or three times and made a new
sketch each time to get the stack-ups.

Now maybe to sleep, perhaps to dream!

Thanks,
Pete

Last edited:
Reactions: gus
Pete, I've been researching the Webster as my next build. I've gathered build logs from several forums, 3 carburetor designs, and now am looking at ignition boxes.
As I have a foundry setup, and can cast Aluminum, I may try to cast the base and supports as one piece, and a water jacket as well.

Chuck

Pete, I'm a total novice when it comes to engines, IC or steam. I hope you didn't feel I was hijacking your thread.
I have to go by what others know or divulge in their build logs. That's why I have researched them on several forums. Hope some of the experienced engineering types can comment, and I can learn something.

Chuck

Hi Pete & Chuck,

The Webster is an easier build over the Kerzel. Was my first running engine. Spent hours running it. My Darling Wife thinks I am engine mad. Brian's Hit& Miss is also easy to build but getting the H&M going takes time. Both engines are now newspaper weight.

Take care.

I also debated between the Webster and Kerzel for my first I.C. engine. I chose the Kerzel because it looks more like a real engine compared to the Webster. I am sure that the Webster is easier to build, but I didn't find anything too difficult about the Kerzel. The build log for my Kerzel can be found here. Good luck with whichever you decide and I hope you do a build log so that we can follow your build.

Brian,

I just read through both of those build threads. :eek:
You sure went through some hoops on the Kerzel!!!

A lot of great information there and I took away a lot of important points.

Thanks,
Pete

Pete----the Kerzel was the second i.c. engine I built, the Webster was the first. I'll tell you a little secret---Most first and second time engine builders go through the same hoops. Few choose to post about their failures---only their successes. By the time you get to your eighth or tenth engine, those problems mostly go away.They are both excellent engines to learn on.---Brian

Hi Pete, I built the Kerzel about 4 years ago & and it's still one of my favorite engines. Some positives of the Kerzel is it looks and runs like a real hit&miss engine, starts in one flip of the wrist and runs for hours without water cooling. It is more challenging to build. No matter what you decide there's lots of help here if you need it. Good Luck, Gary

Reactions: gus
Hey Pete,

I'm also building both engines right now, but so far I have found the Webster engine a little more work. I am about at the same place on both of them, I will work on one for a little bit and when I get stuck I move to the other one. And when I'm working on that one I have time to think about the problem. Less down time in the shop that way

Jonathan

Weez,

I just went through your build log. It's hard to believe that you've been at
this only a few years. The workmanship is beautiful, the thinking behind
the set-ups is great and the execution is clean.

Between you, Brian and others I can't remember now I have picked up a
lot of great stuff on this business of building miniature engines. I've a lot
of time working on full size, including making some parts, but this
miniature business involves a whole new set of skills and thinking.

My most humble thanks to you all,
Pete

Latest posts

Back