Anybody want to guess---

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
What I'm playing at???
CYLINDER-2.jpg

Its a Webster. I only think that because I'm studying the plans right now and I thought it looked familiar.

hi Brian.
I'm surprised if it's not a cyl. for the Webster. ::)
Fun to build, and a great runner :)
crankshafter

I was a little slower. Have the plans out on the work table and walked by and noticed the similarity. Just not the first to do so. After I am done with my current project I will start the Webster.

Brian; I recall reading that it needed extra cooling. Are you going with the stock cylinder / fin design?

Well there!!! Thats enough machining foolishness for one day. Yes, its a Webster. I am not going to add any extra cooling. It will only run for 5 minutes at a time---if I was going to run it any longer than that, I'd shave the fins off and add a water jacket. I haven't been in my little shop since I built Elmers 33-Kind Of. Fortunately I've had "real work" to keep me busy for a few weeks now. Its just that on a Sunday, in the middle of February, there isn't a whole lot to do, and I am intrigued by the simplicity of the Webster. I don't plan on rushing through this engine like I have my other projects, rather it will be a "fill in empty days" kind of job. The original plans that were posted are very well done, so I won't be posting any plans of this one. Just progress posts as I go along. This will be my first internal combustion engine.---Brian Rupnow
cylinder-step-1001.jpg

And Oh Yeah---In case I haven't mentioned it 2 or 300 times now---"DAMN---I hate using a parting off tool in steel!!!!"

hi Brian
Nice work. I build mine a couple of years ago and it was a fun project. only a few things I would have done is making the the crankshaft a Little bit longer so I could have had room for a belt setup for a generator. One more thing make it with a vertical exhaustpipe. Like the plans says it is horizontal, and it blowing the exh.gas in to the geartrain.Messy? Ask me.
I will be following your project.
crank

Brian Rupnow said:
And Oh Yeah---In case I haven't mentioned it 2 or 300 times now---"DAMN---I hate using a parting off tool in steel!!!!"

Me too!

brian you might want to try a rear mount tool holder for parting.
i will try to post some pictures of my rear mount tool holder if you like.

chuck

I'll second that - wouldn't be without mine

aermotor8 said:
brian you might want to try a rear mount tool holder for parting.
i will try to post some pictures of my rear mount tool holder if you like.

chuck

Chuck---Sounds interesting. I'm sure others would be interested as well. Why don't you start a thread about it and post pictures and a write up there.---Brian

Brian Rupnow said:
Fortunately I've had "real work" to keep me busy for a few weeks now.

Good to hear Brian, hopefully you can shake off the "stir crazy" feeling and just enjoy your machining as a hobby, ......... good luck feller Thm:

CC

Had to drive down to Toronto this morning and call on a customer, then back home this afternoon to finish the cylinder and model up the mating part. Got 2 calls from shops in Concord and Kitchener wanting to see me about work tomorrow---and the weather guy is forecasting a blizzard!!!
ASSY-CYLANDCYLHEAD-FRAME.jpg

This evening I discovered the first "caveat" for anyone building the Webster engine. The four tapped holes that hold the cylinder to the "Cylinder Head-Frame". I used #5-40 threads instead of the #4-40 called for on the plans (only because I have a box full of #5-40 shcs). And here's the rub----If you only drill through the 1/4" mounting flange, and not through the first cooling fin, (for cosmetic purposes), then you can't get the threads all the way through with a normal tap, because, of course, the end of the tap hits the first cooling fin. So---I'm going to have to buy a #5-40 bottoming tap. Every time I build anything, I end up having to buy more tooling. I was afraid of putting in a tapered bore, as the cylinder is 2 1/2" long, so this morning while I was out, I bought a 27/32" drill and a 7/8" chucking reamer. That shot my budget to the tune of $82.00. Now I have to buy a bottoming tap. #@$%!!!
CYLINDERCAVEAT003.jpg

Hey Brian, your fist foray into the IC Engine world. It's a whole new level of excitement!

Chuck

Brian,

IC, IC, IC. Maybe boring and a lap from (s)crap would have been cheaper. Only the tap to dance about then.

Seriously it's coming along nicely. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

hi brian
instead of buying a bottoming tap you could make your own.
if you have a 5-40 tap that is dull or has the end broken off you can just grind the end flat and that should make a bottoming tap.
now you will have to take it easy using the tap but with some cutting oil and a little luck it should work just fine.

nice build and welcome to the world of i.c. engines ;D

chuck

Brian, where in Toronto were you?
next time we should meet up and talk about your models, you would have to bring some along you know :bow:

I have been debating the webster for my sherline/taig lathe but not sure yet if the machine chuck is capable?
anyways I will be watching your progress :)

Speedy---Yesterday I was in Oakville. Today I was in Burlington. Friday I may be in Concord. but---those are business trips--straight to customer, do business and straight back. If we got together to play "steam engine" it would have to be on a weekend.---Brian

Latest posts

Back