Anybody want to guess---

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian Rupnow said:
Are they harder to build than an air/steam engine?---Not at all. They cost more to build, but only because of the peripheral equipment they require i.e. carb, coil, points, sparkplug, etc.

Well, it depends on how much of the engine you build, Brian. If you built those things, except for the coil, maybe, plus cut your own gears and made things like grease cups, it would be somewhat harder than a steam engine, but not really more expensive.

Dean

Brian-

Great looking engine, and this has been an excellent build record. Congratulations on both scores.

I like the look of your gas tank, and how you mounted it. Very clean looking. I don't see a vent hole in your gas tank, but I see you are running it with the cap on. Did you hide the vent, or don't you have a vent hole in it? If not, wouldn't it eventually create a vacuum in the tank and cause fuel starvation?

Congratulations Brian!

Great engine and build log.

An Engineer, who can build it too, is a rare breed.

Good on ya!

Paulsv said:
Brian-

Great looking engine, and this has been an excellent build record. Congratulations on both scores.

I like the look of your gas tank, and how you mounted it. Very clean looking. I don't see a vent hole in your gas tank, but I see you are running it with the cap on. Did you hide the vent, or don't you have a vent hole in it? If not, wouldn't it eventually create a vacuum in the tank and cause fuel starvation?

The cap screws on. I just loosen it half a turn and it lets in enough air.

Brian Rupnow said:
SCORE!!!!---I've been wondering where to get a piece of spring steel for the "Rocker arm Spring" for my Webster.

While reading through Brian's build I came upon this message. My first thought was, "what spring?". I had completely overlooked the spring on the plans and didn't install one in my engine.

Although my engine ran, it never performed as well as the others shown on HMEM. I installed a spring today and now my engine runs like it's supposed too!!

Charlie

Well done Brian. Thanks for sharing your journey, this will no doubt help me and many others when we come to build our first ic engines. I can't wait for the first time my own i.c. fires up, must be an immense feeling.

I haven't seen the vid yet, will have a look at home.

Nick

My engine runs great, but it required me to keep one hand on the carburetor throttle lever all the time it was running, because it would vibrate into an open throttle position very quickly if I didn't hold it. This morning I had some free time so I fabricated a "throttle lever" which attaches to the base with a #10-24 screw and a compression spring. There is a link made of welding wire that goes from my throttle lever over to the carburetor. The compression spring gives enough friction that the arm won't move from vibration, so now I have a "hands free" engine that I can adjust the speed setting to where I want it and then let go.
throttlelever002.jpg

Great fun this afternoon. My friend Colin who lives on the other side of town and is building Elmers#33 came over to see the Webster run, and I silver soldered a piece for his engine. We had a good visit, and "show and tell". It sure is nice to have some modelling friends close enough to come and visit!!!

Runs fantastically Brian, well done you must be chuffed. Like the throttle too.

:bow:

Nick

Thanks Brian, another good looking and good running engine, you can put it on the pumping jack that you are going to build and all you have to do is get an oil well, I am around them everyday, heck I will get one to put the unit on, that would be a whole new meaning to stripper oil, learned a lot again, thanks, Lathe Nut

Hi Brian - Your Webster Engine Build is real nice, congratulations. This engine is on my to-do list. I have the same milling machine as yours. Could you tell me where you get those mini fuses for it. Busy Bee off Mapleview where I bought my machine did not have any fuses that size the last time I was there. My mill is running with a piece of cigarette tin foil wrapped around the blown fuse right now. - Bill Mc (from Baxter)

Finally, I got around to repairing my Webster engine. About 2 months ago the silver solder which held the crank "throw" to the crankshaft let go. I have been busy with other things, but finally got some time today to take it all apart, resolder it, and then pin things in place with a 3/32" dowel pin. I haven't felt like doing much since I finished the pumpjack (Can you say BURNOUT) but I did get a bit of quality shop time in today.----Brian

Reactions: gus
Brian,

Good to hear from you.

I was beginning to wonder if you had fallen of the face of earth.

SAM

Reactions: gus
Info wanted! An eccentric Is iet simmular to a crank?

Yes Alli, an eccentric is a type of crankshaft. It is basically a crankshaft with one side left off. See post #51---Brian

Last edited:
Thanx. I'm busy whith my first single action slide valve steam engine. My own desin. Now with dimesion and scale I d'nt have a clue. May I ask for some assistance where needed from you? I like your engine. I d'nt have a lath or mill. Friend of mine helps with that part. How do I desid on length off the piston and valve stroke. Then time what the valve has to trafel from A to B?

Thanx. I'm busy whith my first single action slide valve steam engine. My own desin. Now with dimesion and scale I d'nt have a clue. May I ask for some assistance where needed from you? I like your engine. I d'nt have a lath or mill. Friend of mine helps with that part. How do I desid on length off the piston and valve stroke. Then time what the valve has to trafel from A to B?

I suggest "Model Stationary and Marine Steam Engines" by K N Harris is the best starting point.

Alli---if you don't have a lathe, or a mill, or a design, and don't have a clue, then I can not help you.---Sorry.---Brian

Latest posts

Back