anybody know what this came off of?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werowance

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
does anyone know what this came from? or part of? a friend gave it to me because he felt it looked like machine shop stuff. I don't know its cast iron and has t slots in it. and its heavy.
don't know what I'm going to do with it. other than skin my shins everytime I walk by it.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Suggest it is a bloody big 90 degree fixture plate for a weld table, mill or grinder! At an uneducated guess.

Hi Werowance,

It looks like it is a large shaper work table, normally bolted onto the front of, in your case, a large shaper.

It looks like the start of a new welding table for your shop.

Yes ,I would say it is of a radial drill

hmm, radial drill. that might explain the large sheet of fiber glass that had a gazillion holes drilled into it that was also with it.

would you think its worth anything? don't want to modify it or anything for other projects if it is.
I'm thinking probably not but that's just my uneducated eye.

+1 on radial drill. It is amazing there are no holes in it.

It could be a table from a Euro-style mill like a Deckel.

my guess would be shaper.As for use if you have the room and its in good nick
i would use it as a marking out table and have a thick steel cover plate
so you can use it as a welding table

Don't worry about modifying it, You will likely not decrease its value. If you have a use, like a welding table as suggested, do it. This is not like collecting antique furniture. This stuff is generally worth less each day. Someday it will all be worth scrap.

Its value is in its use, not in its being.

Simply dropping a 6mm plate over the top will allow welding fixtures etc
to be tacked to the top.A welding table with regular use need constant cleaning
with grinder/linisher.I know been their and done that.Seems a shame to
destroy the integrity of the top for the sake of a piece of plate.If you have the room and do a lot of welding then stick it a corner and make a small
dedicated welding bay

Be a shame to wreck it as a welding table. You can make one of them out of any old piece of flat plate on four legs.
This one might be better used as a surface plate. Depends on condition of course. One of the sides might have less wear on it than the top and could be used if the table were laid on its side.

no markings that I can find. and the rust is just surface rust, but the finish grind was a course one on the machined surfaces.

layout table might be tough because the gap in the t slots is significant, but welding table is a possibility, or wonder if its go enough girth to mount my anvil on?

Bryan

I recognize the potshots it is a angle plate off of a Devlieg horizontal boring machine. They came in several styles. I ran one like this one.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DykDqv77yiM[/ame]

Here is a different style but the style we had was the same as the photo you posted.
3999931418.jpg

I didn't think some of ourour members would fail to recognize a horizontal boring machinr.

Back