Any tips on making a worm and wheel?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf2qd

Reaction score
I have a Hardinge UM from an old Navy vessel that is missing the power feed. I have an idea of the size to the worm wheel and wor.

It would appear that the original had a 2 start worm and 30 tooth wheel. Bore on the worm was 5/8 and fit over the table lead screw with a key driving the screw.

It would appear from the pictures I have seen that the OD of the wheel was about 1-7/8and the worm about 1-1/4.

Any thoughts or ideas?

KF2QD
Pete

I have a Hardinge UM from an old Navy vessel that is missing the power feed. I have an idea of the size to the worm wheel and wor.

It would appear that the original had a 2 start worm and 30 tooth wheel. Bore on the worm was 5/8 and fit over the table lead screw with a key driving the screw.

It would appear from the pictures I have seen that the OD of the wheel was about 1-7/8and the worm about 1-1/4.

Any thoughts or ideas?

KF2QD
Pete

I'd seriously consider an electronic drive synced to spindle rotation. That would give you feed ratios (feed per tooth) suitable for any material and cutter. Your sig indicates a ham radio operator so I'm assuming here a nit more knowledge about electronics than average.

I suppose you could try to tackle a gear set build but over all I don't see a huge advantage. In fact it actually may take longer. It really depends upon how much you need to fabricate.

Post the center to center distance between the two shafts and maybe we can help more.

Electronic may be easier as previously noted.
Rich

Did some calculations using the closest numbers I could...

When I tried 16 DP the OD was right on at 1.875" but the tooth count was 28

Regards,
Rich

It's not impossible to make your own worm and wheel. Worm can usually be turned on a lathe. For the wheel you may have to make your own rotary hob out of silver steel (drill rod) and harden it, then make the wheel out of bronze. You may have to "gash" the wheel with a milling cutter and dividing head to get the starting cuts in place so the rotary hob then picks up on the grooves and does its thing as it turns the wheel around.

Have alook at the pics etc from about reply 19 onwards here:
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=7488.0

This site has all the tools you'd need to design your replacement gears. They have a downloadable program called "Gearspec" you can use.

Good luck,
Rich

Back