Any Solidworks Gurus here?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvom

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am attempting to model the Joys Valve engine I'm building, mainly to educate myself in SW. All is well until I get to the valve gear. When I model the rocker slides in a sub assembly, I can move the sliders and the mated valve link easily.

However, when I add the subassembly to the engine assembly, everything appears to be locked other than I can move/rotate the entire rocker assembly as a single unit.

rocker slide half.jpg

joy engine.jpg

In the top assembly, right click the sub assembly > configure> select flexible.

It's a trick!!! If you want to animate them in the assembly, then you have to import the individual parts and mate them in the assembly. When you drop a sub assembly into an assembly, it acts as a single part.

Be a bit cautious of flexible assemblies. Make sure everything you don't want movable is entirely locked down. This includes fasteners and pins where usually a concentric and face mate are all that's necessary.

I've had multiple instances where my SW assembly "blew up" because of a non-fully constrained part or a linkage that goes over center.

...Ved.

Ved, yes that is true, but I haven't run into an instance where those same issues wouldn't be a problem in real life. In the early days of SW it was more of a problem, now you have limit mates which make it easier to prevent some of those problems.

Greg

I got my copy as a USA veteran, It's the student version, but full function. Apparently I'll need to renew it each year for the same $20.

Back