Any one building small engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmithDoor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Any building small engines under 0.060 inch^³ [1 CC]

The building small engines looks good on paper as low in cost of materials and tooling is small too.

Here just one Manufacturer of small engines

http://www.peterburford.com.au/
Dave

Peter Burford, son of the late Gordon Burford, is no longer making engines and that was his only production engine. Some years ago he put the whole project up for sale but I don't think he had any takers. His engine was superbly engineered but eye-wateringly expensive. PAW in the UK still make small I/C engines.

I am looking build very small engines, every I work on in life was big.
Now making a small engines will be fun.

The cost was very high
If look at videos they how made the engine it was handed made.
I did not see any CNC or Screw machines no centerless grinders.
They turret lathe had was.very low production and takes higher skill leave to run.

Dave

Peter Burford, son of the late Gordon Burford, is no longer making engines and that was his only production engine. Some years ago he put the whole project up for sale but I don't think he had any takers. His engine was superbly engineered but eye-wateringly expensive. PAW in the UK still make small I/C engines.

Alex Finn of Red Fin Engines is still selling small engines. https://www.redfinengines.com/
He gets them made to his specifications in the Ukraine or China.

Cox engines is still going OK. They get some parts made where needed and continue to sell small engines. Cox International - The world's largest Cox engine and parts supplier

MECOA in the USA has been steadily buying up out of business model engine companies, etc. They make and sell model engines.
http://www.mecoa.com/
Of course Jett Engines is still there making high performance engines. Dub Jett model aircraft engines and accessories - Engines Index page

Not sure of the point of this thread , surely this forum is about making our own engines and tooling !
Dan.

Not sure of the point of this thread , surely this forum is about making our own engines and tooling !
Dan.
Look to see if any has built a small engine and may have drawings.
I think it great project as everything in my life has been big.
A small engine out bar stock it lot cheaper than big engines.
I have rebuilt engines up to a D8 Cat I can build a small engine out one bolt off D8. I also manufacturers Aircraft Hangar Doors up to 747 for over 30 years.

Dave

This what I am looking to build.
The size of engine is about 0.030³" [0.5³mm]
The drawing below is a draft of the cylinder

Dave
Screenshot_20210111-155744_Drive_edited.jpeg

Alex Finn of Red Fin Engines is still selling small engines. https://www.redfinengines.com/
He gets them made to his specifications in the Ukraine or China.

Cox engines is still going OK. They get some parts made where needed and continue to sell small engines. Cox International - The world's largest Cox engine and parts supplier

MECOA in the USA has been steadily buying up out of business model engine companies, etc. They make and sell model engines.
http://www.mecoa.com/

Of course Jett Engines is still there making high performance engines. Dub Jett model aircraft engines and accessories - Engines Index page

Attachments

• Engine 030 Model (1).pdf
    5.6 KB · Views: 84
I was thinking at first about the classic Boll Aero 1.8 diesel engine. There are detailed plans for the engine out there too.
ref BollAero 1.8 Gallery

But for a smaller .030 size engine one could scale it down some too.

I know some people have made small engines in this size range before. I see pictures of them here or there. But as for plans I haven't come across any. It may be that most of the hobbyists just winged it with sketched drawings.

Thank you for drawing.

I almost never do project with out full set of drawings. But that because of background . I planning using all standard tooling

I still wondering if any has ever made a model diesel engine using a fuel injection?

Dave

I was thinking at first about the classic Boll Aero 1.8 diesel engine. There are detailed plans for the engine out there too.
ref BollAero 1.8 Gallery

But for a smaller .030 size engine one could scale it down some too.

I know some people have made small engines in this size range before. I see pictures of them here or there. But as for plans I haven't come across any. It may be that most of the hobbyists just winged it with sketched drawings.

Dan.
I cannot comment for anywhere but the United. Kingdom= which is working from home and has allsorts of problems with children's education and all the attendant problems of having ittle or no money - for --- the last ELEVEN moths. If the last 'massive' of TWEVE pages from theNational Health Service is believed- the first review of what is lockdown will not be=- or me- at least- not until the 21st of Next month. Whilst I am making money- hand over fist, this is not the case for the majority. Regardless of 'making engines' or workshop time- there is little or no money for anything other than essentials.
Yes, and I speak with some authority, one internet delivery firm is handling 3 MILLIONS parcels a day but it is not going to workshops.
Continuing a broad overview( and me and me Myford 😀) charities and other social affairs are already sunk and if things are to continue, they will not only fail but will become extinct.
I soke yesterday with an old associate about 'the State of Affairs' and he said that there was no 'liquid cash' with everything tied up in goods on the shelf-- and customers who - have never materialised.
I'm a former hard nosed accountant - an. auditor free for charity and philanthropist*( small letters) and I am not alone in my comments.
I wish that I was wrong!
Norman

Thank you for drawing.

I almost never do project with out full set of drawings. But that because of background . I planning using all standard tooling

I still wondering if any has ever made a model diesel engine using a fuel injection?

Dave

Well yes a few people have made some true model diesel engines including fuel injection.
They talk about them in this thread here: Fuel injection for model diesels, how can it be done?

One example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PvZ6S8cadk

This what I am looking to build.
The size of engine is about 0.030³" [0.5³mm]
Dave
Hi Dave, Forgive me for sounding awed... but at 0.5 cubic mm this sounds like a 1mm (0.04") stroke and 0.8mm (0.032") bore! Wow! That is tiny! - A thousandth of what we usually see here...
Do you mean 0.5cc? - my calculator says converting from 0.030³" you should have 492 mm³?
If the 492 cu.mm are at an 8 mm stroke you have a bore of 8.85mm. So is your engine something like 5/16" bore and stroke? - That would make more sense to me.... but I am an humble engineer, not a watchmaker..
Do add some dimensions to your drawing. It will help avoid confusion. I am sure someone can make a 0.5cu.mm displacement engine, but my imagination can't cope with that one.
K2

Hi Dave, Forgive me for sounding awed... but at 0.5 cubic mm this sounds like a 1mm (0.04") stroke and 0.8mm (0.032") bore! Wow! That is tiny! - A thousandth of what we usually see here...
Do you mean 0.5cc? - my calculator says converting from 0.030³" you should have 492 mm³?
If the 492 cu.mm are at an 8 mm stroke you have a bore of 8.85mm. So is your engine something like 5/16" bore and stroke? - That would make more sense to me.... but I am an humble engineer, not a watchmaker..
Do add some dimensions to your drawing. It will help avoid confusion. I am sure someone can make a 0.5cu.mm displacement engine, but my imagination can't cope with that one.
K2
The bore is 0.375" using a reamer and a copper lap. This piston would machine to match the bore after lapping.
The stork is 0.300" that is 0.033³"

Dave

The only problem with this design is finishing the top of cylinder with only 0.050" of room at top.
The calculation of compression ratio leaves 0.050 at top of cylinder.
I may try different shape piston but it would look odd.

Dave.

PS: It this designe would work great for automatic screw machines, as you just special tooling.. A 5 spindle Davport about 120 finished cylinders a hour.

Thanks Dave, Good to see how you progress this one.
K2

Look to see if any has built a small engine and may have drawings.
I think it great project as everything in my life has been big.
A small engine out bar stock it lot cheaper than big engines.
I have rebuilt engines up to a D8 Cat I can build a small engine out one bolt off D8. I also manufacturers Aircraft Hangar Doors up to 747 for over 30 years.

Dave
hi Dave!
well, i´m not a real engine maker, but i´m learning a lot... i really love small engines, and i had build a Weaver 1cc (waiting for a new test after some work) already re-build an original Deezil 2cc with good results... at least it runs and starts easy .... Noone original did) and now i´m working with a reduced Mills 0.56cc.. a lot of fun!

The best part of engines is low cost materials, small tools and if you drop the engine it does not hurt.

Dave

hi Dave!
well, i´m not a real engine maker, but i´m learning a lot... i really love small engines, and i had build a Weaver 1cc (waiting for a new test after some work) already re-build an original Deezil 2cc with good results... at least it runs and starts easy .... Noone original did) and now i´m working with a reduced Mills 0.56cc.. a lot of fun!

Back