Any advice on how to make a decent looking prop nut for model aero?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I normally go with a basic nut made of out mild steel hex bar on my aeros (or a nyloc nut on occasion). On my most recent build I thought I'd complete the look and make a nice prop nut/spinner as below. Anyone got any links/tips/tricks how to get the shape right?

Any info appreciated as it seems quite scarce on the webernet!

Thanks,
Patrick

Screenshot 2022-01-19 at 20.23.07.png

I face, drill, and tap a scrap slug in the lathe and screw the spinner blank to it with a stud. I rough cut by eye using lathe tool(s) followed by filing and abrasive paper to shape.

Using your dimensions, example shape on left is an Ellipse, shape on right is a Conic. For a one-off probably go with TLAR, just using a section cutout to guide. I've made them using method post#2. Just give yourself a bit of distance away from the chuck with your threaded spigot for safety.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-01-19 7.26.15 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-01-19 7.26.15 PM.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 51
Spinners on real aircraft come in almost any configuration, from blunt to really sharp nose. It's an "eye of the beholder" type thing!

Hi, I managed to have a go at this today. Thanks for all the advice. In the end I went with using a radius turning attachment. Happy-ish with the result as a first go but reckon i can do better. The trick is figuring where the centre of the radius should be as its somewhere off the workpiece in the ether. Should look decent when I anodise it.

Thanks,
Patrick

IMG_2078.jpeg

IMG_2076.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2077.jpeg
    IMG_2077.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 39
Hi, I normally go with a basic nut made of out mild steel hex bar on my aeros (or a nyloc nut on occasion). On my most recent build I thought I'd complete the look and make a nice prop nut/spinner as below. Anyone got any links/tips/tricks how to get the shape right?

Any info appreciated as it seems quite scarce on the webernet!

Thanks,
Patrick

View attachment 133273
Try turn is the great bam in Rc prop hubs and attachment

I’ve made a number of various in’s I incompatible th timing magnet into the hub usually I have counter sunk from hub then make a matchmaker stud mount. Off en a impl pop duke will bend the spinner shaft I try to mak thes xnable getting threads to n true is pretty tough. By using he adapter with an you gt aron this. It takes some innessingvi get them machine true tun is expensive over the ye h I hard to bea. I hunk he does it on the sides sometimes I c kev hi tiger parts .

Latest posts

Back