Anvil For An Engine Block

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutsqueezer

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I'm in the process of building Elmer's Open Column Twin and I'm needing a hunk of something for the cylinder block. I have a nice-sized chunk of Aluminum but I think I want to use brass or cast iron for the block. I don't have a chunk of brass big enough hanging around the shop right now but there is something sitting on my bench that my eye keeps going back to. A few years ago I bought a small anvil from H.F. for just a few bucks. I don't use it much and I'm pretty sure it's made of cast iron.

I've read there are different grades of cast iron and I'd have to think that an anvil is probably made from one of the harder types and I don't know if it would be machinable or not. If it turns out that it is suitable for this then I may have found a relatively cheap source for cast iron hunks. I think the anvil only cost me like 6 bucks or so and one could get a number of cylinder blocks from it.

Am I onto something or just wishful thinking?

-trout

Trout, Have you considered machining up some sleeves out of cast iron, brass, or bronze, and use aluminum for the block?

On my build I used aluminum for the block and brass for the pistons without any problems. If your worried about wear than just coat the pistons and cylinders with "molly" powder.

-MB

Well... did you have a go at it, and hack it up?

Like you said it was cheap, and you don't seem to have any attachment to it, so...

If you muster up the courage to chop it up and its good stuff then let me know, I own one too.

Poor anvil.... ;D

-MB

the anvil is likely hard on the outside this can be overcome by sticking in the ovon at 400 degrees for a few hours then packing in vermiculite and letting it cool for a few days. then Try to machine it.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
the anvil is likely hard on the outside this can be overcome by sticking in the ovon at 400 degrees for a few hours then packing in vermiculite and letting it cool for a few days. then Try to machine it.
Tin

Tin, I have heard the term "chilled cast iron". Is it a quick cooling that creates the hard skin or crust on cast iron. I assume this crust causes cutter's to be dulled at an alarming rate.

I would have never guessed that only 400 degrees would do the trick. You are talking Fahrenheit I hope. Vermiculite is readily available at garden centers.

Sounds very doable, making Trouts idea a good source for low cost cast iron.

All we need to do is wait for an opportune moment to commandeer the kitchen stove. ;D

-MB

Interesting idea. From what I've read the big HF anvils aren't very hardened (the blacksmith types like to call them "anvil-shaped objects"), so the little ones may not be either. Might be bottom-of-the-barrel pour material though; sort of like sash weights, some are good CI, some are junk. The cheap HF C-clamps are certainly easy to drill.

shred said:
Interesting idea. From what I've read the big HF anvils aren't very hardened (the blacksmith types like to call them "anvil-shaped objects"), so the little ones may not be either. Might be bottom-of-the-barrel pour material though; sort of like sash weights, some are good CI, some are junk. The cheap HF C-clamps are certainly easy to drill.

This ones a whopper!

You could use it to make a block for a good sized V-8!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=806

-MB

I haven't had the chance to chop this thing up yet because I typed up the post right before my wife hauled me off to the theater to see Avatar. Now there's a movie!

Tonight I'll be out in the shed with my angle grinder or metal chop saw hacking this baby up into chunks. If it's just the outer part that is hard perhaps I can just grind that away and get to the softer stuff? Would the heat from the cutting process harden it? Well, I bought some brand new cutting disks today so I'll see how it goes.

-T

Oh, forgot to mention: Metal Butcher, I hadn't considered a cast iron sleeve. It's not the wear I'm concerned about, the fact that it would be a heavy little beast appeals to me. ;D

Troutsqueezer said:
Oh, forgot to mention: Metal Butcher, I hadn't considered a cast iron sleeve. It's not the wear I'm concerned about, the fact that it would be a heavy little beast appeals to me. ;D

My build weighs in at 2 lb. 1 oz. and for its size it seems pretty heavy. A lot of the weight is in the steel crankshaft. the base plate and flywheel are aluminum and don't add much weight. those two areas made of brass or steel would add considerably. I considered brass, steel or cast iron for the cylinder and went with the aluminum. My concern was the engine becoming top heavy. On almost all my engines I add a wooden base with a larger foot print for stability, largely due to "Honey's" habit of dusting my display shelf. It sends a chill down my spine! :eek:

-MB

Had a couple of hours to spend out in the shop tonight so I hacked the anvil into pieces and did some testing. I don't have a metal band saw so my methods of cutting were somewhat crude.

anvil-1.jpg

First I sliced off a few smaller pieces using my angle grinder with a thin cutting disk which didn't take too much effort. I put one of the pieces onto the mill and drilled a hole with an old drill bit. The hole drilled easily so that encouraged me to continue.

drilling.jpg

Then I tried milling on a round piece with an older end mill. It's a little hard for me to gauge the hardness of this metal, if I had more experience milling cast iron I would have something to compare the experiment to. It would mill down at around 7-10 thou at a time OK but reminded me of milling steel when I made some tooling right after buying my mill.

anvil-2.jpg

I spent the next hour slicing away the curved parts of the anvil. I'm still debating whether to use this piece or not.

anvil-3.jpg

anvil-4.jpg

Say Trout'

This has been an interesting thread. That lump appears to have a good surface left on it from the mill cutter, what is it about this piece are you having doubts about? You have come this far, besides look at all of those misc. pieces you have left on the bench. I suppose you could use them to throw t the neighbor's cat to shoo it out of the yard. ;D

BC1
Jim

Latest posts

Back