Another Stuart Twin Launch build started.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience with the 1963 drawings of the Sun engine were much the same. But I could easily rectify the errors. I understand your frustration about them being wrong. Bad business from Stuart I reckon. How about castings? Mine were all good.
K2
My castings were good, but some were not used since the kit was non reversing, and I made all the reversing gear from scratch, so some of the original castings were not used at all. Actually, the only castings used from the original kit were: Cylinder, Connecting rods and caps, Base and main bearing caps, steam chests and covers, and bottom cylinder covers. I machined the pistons and top cylinder covers from Cast bar stock, higher quality than the CI in the kit. Everything else was from bar stock.

I did the Crankshaft much as I did the eccentrics, mounted in a fixture that located on the crank centerline with the correct offset for the crankpins, and the crank web located in a slot in the fixture. That made machining the crank easy, and precision. Much better than most of the ways I have seen these done.View attachment 122420View attachment 122421View attachment 122422View attachment 122423View attachment 122424
Looks beautiful. What is the grinder you are using?

I made the grinder myself. I could not find one to buy that I liked for a reasonable price. I started out with the grinder spindle from a Harbor Freight circular saw sharpener I had, ended up using the basic arbor from it and designing a new system around it using a DC motor and timing belt drive. I 3D printed the belt and wheel guards. I have used it now on several projects, love it!

I made the grinder myself. I could not find one to buy that I liked for a reasonable price. I started out with the grinder spindle from a Harbor Freight circular saw sharpener I had, ended up using the basic arbor from it and designing a new system around it using a DC motor and timing belt drive. I 3D printed the belt and wheel guards. I have used it now on several projects, love it!
Is this the one you used?

Attachments

• IMG_3455.jpeg
    IMG_3455.jpeg
    664.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back