Another Stuart 10V

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the credit guys. I'm inspired. After all, I'm new to this.
As I have told I'm s sucker for accuracy. I think making this engine as good as I can is a part of the hobby.
However, since I never have got any education or previous experience with lathe and mill, I have done a great deal of mishaps.
Several of the parts are made two-three times, but that's supposed to be OK I have been told.

I seldom buy anything that I don’t modify or upgrade in some way. Also with this engine.
I can clearly see some points that could be improved with the design. However, it will also make it more advanced to build. It’s a trade of between simplicity and complexity.
I will do some mods to it just to rectify what I think is plain wrong.
Maybe I will make another similar engine constructed by a mix of the best solutions gathered from other designs.

So what’s wrong with it? I mentioned the crank bearings. The way they are constructed it is difficult to get them accurate.
I have managed to make them ok, so I will leave them as is.
The next is the eccentric for the valve. It is held sideways in place with a very thin steel screw rubbing around in a groove in the eccentric.
The gliding surface is next to nothing and it’s steel to steel. Hence the black oil all the time. The gliding surface in the bronze valve rod got scored in no time because of this.
I will make a new eccentric with supporting sidewalls and a two piece valve rod.
Already did an attempt with the eccentric yesterday and destroyed it close to finishing…

2017-10-26 19.00.11.jpg

Latest posts

Back