Another Rupnow vertical ic with a few twists

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rac37

Reaction score
Recently finished my build of the vertical ic engine designed by Brian Rupnow.
Thanks Brian.
Just strayed a little from the plans in a few areas.
-Went with brass cylinder with a steel liner just because I had a 2" piece on hand.
-Built the frame out of 3 pieces of aluminum since I did not have a big enough single piece on hand.
-Decided to make a cam drive for the intake instead of atmospheric type. Not for any particular reason.
-Gas tank from a plumbing fitting.
-Used hall sensor ignition since I had most components on hand.
-Carb from s/s machine.
Now hope I can get this video link to work.
https://youtu.be/iAWm3clr5pU
Bob

Hi Bob,
Well you couldn't ask for an engine to run any sweeter than that one. Very nice work!
gbritnell

Very nice and runs so smoothly. Nice work.

For your video link, use the address that doesn't have youtube split (like youtu.be) in it. Basically click the link you've posted, then copy and paste the address it takes you to, and then your video will show in the thread. Like so:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAWm3clr5pU&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Bob--what a beautiful job you have done. That is a great running engine. I think that is the fifth Rupnow Vertical engine that is running in the world. Where are you in the world? Congratulations.--Brian Rupnow

Thanks guys for the kind comments.
Cogsy, thanks for link information and I really enjoyed following your build.
Nice looking engine and a great runner.
Brian, thanks again for plans for this neat little engine. I am located in Syracuse, Indiana northern part of the state. I bet we will see several more of these before long.

bob

Bob--show us a picture of how you ran the dual camshafts please. I am assuming a second gear and camshaft, but it would be nice to see a picture.---Brian

Brian,
Hope the attached pix help out. I did run a second cam shaft next to the exhaust cam shaft. Ended up that they are .250 off center so .500 center to center. That happened to work out great for a 12 tooth 24dp gear on each. I pressed on both gears with locktite so limited to 30 degree per tooth adjustment. I currently am running 4 teeth or 120 degree exhaust leading the intake.

Bob

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

Latest posts

Back