Another Reason to buy or make a diamond tool holder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan
The shaper doesn't get used a lot, but I guess building a holder just got moved up the list.
Greg

Another type of holder.
Cannot choose so I use both

IM000187.JPG

Niels, aren't you the clever one! ;D

I really like the one on the left. Is there an allen head draw-bolt that pulls the tool holder against a channel in the body? How did you make the square hole for the bit? A broach?

Hello DickeyBird

Glad You like the tools.
Right one is made by EDM.
Left is a simple turning,sawing .milling and threading job.
I will show some pictures and please ask if unclear.

Happy chipmaking

diamosav.jpg

fraes.jpg

assem3.jpg

assem4.jpg

Thanks Niels. Sorry, I just realized I typed left when I meant right. ::)

Do you have any pretty CAD renderings of the one on the right?

Cheers,
Milton

DICKEYBIRD said:
Thanks Niels. Sorry, I just realized I typed left when I meant right. ::)

Do you have any pretty CAD renderings of the one on the right?

Cheers,
Milton

Sure

dex.jpg

Chuck, that is pretty slick. I really need to make a similar tool for my little lathe. That will be a good project for this weekend in the workshop. I think I have some steel square stock on the shelf.

Quick question...

How critical is that rake angle? I see some of you have your tool at 12° and some of you have it at 15°.

I don't think I have a protractor small enough to get that angle exactly at that small number like 12 or 15. I have gauges for 30, 45, 60, 90 etc...

I don't think the angle is real critical within reason - I think I measured mine by the tried and true 'about there' method. It works fine.

I think the commercial ones are inlined 12° forward and 12° left. Thats what I also used for my home made version and they both work well.

Vic.

Interesting tool holders
I have been looking at the pics, and reading of course.
Maybe its the angle of the shots of the pics. I can see the 12 to 15 degree angle front to back, but at appears that in some pics, of the tool holder Niels has posted, it apears that it dosnt have the side angle to the left? I was wondering if the side angle is absolutly nesessary?

If some of you omit that angle, does the tool work equally

well? It appears to to me the cutter would be introduced to the work at totally different angles when tuning and facing with the extra side angle.

Can someone verify this for me?

Thanks Paul

Hello Paul

If You make a tool holder with 15 degree tilt as shown there will be very close to 12 degree clearance on the two cutting edges.

Regards

Niels

diamant oveni.jpg

diamant side.jpg

diamant 45.jpg

Please tell me what version You will prefer ?
In my view the best tool-bit size is 5 mm or 3/16 inch.
Smaller is difficult to hold and bigger takes longer to regrind.
My favourite HSS is SeCo WKE 45 and price is more or less identical for 4,5 and 6 mm sizes.
The distance from top of compound slide to lathe centerline is very close to 25 mm on my Boxford and I guess it is 25.4 on a South Bend.
Can I have some information from other types of lathes used by members of this forum?
First five answer will get one free if I go commercial.
My wirespark friend is going to make a 5 mm bit from carbide and if this works I have primary cutting tools for rest of my life.

both.jpg

Hi Guys,
I thought you might like to see another version of the Tangential tool that was made by a friend of mine.
Ned

Tangential Toolholders 003.jpg

Looks good Ned!

I wonder if anyone has made something Flycutter style for a Vertical Mill? I'd certainly like to try using some of my round HSS if anyone has any ideas for a design.

Vic.

In this Swiss clip you see a tangential tool holder, that I never seen before? Is it commercial?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w8EB2rBU0I&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/ame]

Hello Phlegmatic

Thank You for the video that brings back memories from the four years I lived in Basel,Switzerland.
The quick change holder is a TRIPAN and absolutely the best and most expensive if You can find some.
The tools are made by IFANGER that have a catalogue on the web.

Kind regards

Niels

Back