Another newbie...dutch this time.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_B

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have seen many videos of scale engines and thought it would be great to build one some day.
A few months ago some one posted a link to the video and later the build thread of THIS engine on a Land Rover forum. That is how I found this place and all the info.

Now I have decided it is time to get a mill and lathe and see what I can do with that.
I work on cars and engines every day, so doing it on this small scale should be nice.

I have seen the advise to start simple, but I'm not sure I can do that. ;)

At the moment I will be getting all the info I need to decide what mill and lathe to buy. I think it will be the (rebranded) Sieg X2 and C2.

That's it for now. Just wanted to say hi before I start asking questions.

Rob.

Welcome to the forum Rob, good to have you on board!

And welcome from a fellow Dutchman living in Australia. Arrived here 60 years ago this Monday from Rotterdam.

Rob_B....

I like your enthusiasm. By all means, try building the 1/4 scale, V8. What do you have to lose? If the build becomes too difficult, put the model aside and teach yourself the machining skills that you will need to fabricate the parts, and then, complete the engine.

If you like the way the V8 engines "look" also consider the bar-stock, CHUCK FELLOW'S Compressed-Air Cirrus/Whittle V8 Aero Engine. You can find the plans/drawings on the HMEM Forum. This basic, cylinder/air valve, can be adapted and used to build a Single, V2, V4, Inline 2,3,4,6, and "Boxer" engines....and, no cooling systems, distributors, wiring, spark-plugs, etc. to worry about. Many of the machining operations to fabricate the parts for this elegant, compressed-air engine will be used on the 1/4 scale, V8.

Have fun, no matter what design(s) that you decide to build.

Frank

A warm welcome to the forum Rob, and the best of luck with your miniature engine. One of your countrymen, Jan Ridders is a wizard with them.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

The V8 is a bit to much to start with. And maybe a 4 inline will be too. But like Frank said, start some where and see where that leads.
And I even have an idea for an engine layout that I haven't seen an scale version of yet. :)

I enjoyed metal work back at school. And have a friend that has his own business making things others can't or won't make. So I have some one close to ask for help.

And welcome from another country man here in Australia, arrived here 45 yrs ago but Aussie through and through. Looks like we have a few clog wogs here LOL

Latest posts

Back