Another New Member

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

wheelterrapin

Hello Folks,

I just joined the FAME group and I wrote up a introductry message to them so I am just going to copy the same message for here, at my age just remembering what to say once is hard enough let alone twice. Here is the same message I sent to FAME so if you have done read it don't waste your time reading it again.

Hello Group, another newbie here.

I am a 63 year old laid off grandfather who is raising two grandsons because their Mother chooses another life style. Needless to say at my age trying to raise two grandsons has been mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually draining on me thus the reason I am joining this group.

I am not a machinist, just a wannabe. I have always had a dream of building a working model of a stationary gas engine and figured I am running out of time so I need to go for it. I am a fairly decent woodworker and each year try and build wooden toys to give away to kids who never get anything for Christmas. I have made a few detailed toys they call Executive Toys and purchased a Sherline Lathe and Mill several years ago, when I had two jobs, to use to make some of the more intricate wooden parts. I have never turned the Sherline mill on, it is still unused. I recently sold off some things and was able to purchase a used Enco 2 HP Bench Mill and I also have an older model 12" Atlas Metal Lathe. I am not completely ignorant of these tools as I was the Plant Engineer and Maintenance Manager of a large metal working plant for about 35 years and was around a lot of machine shop equipment which I played with from time to time but that is about all of the experience I have.

So gang with God's help, and the help of fine folks like yourselves I am going to give this model making a whirl. I may fail miserably but I will never know until I try. Sorry for so much rambling and I will shut up for now. I am looking forward to learning from all if you.

Many Thanks,

Paul

Welcome Paul

You'll never "fail miserably" when it comes to model building.
There might be a few times that things won't go exactly as planned.
We call that a learning experience, throw it in the scrap box and try it
again. :wink:

Rick

Hi Paul,
I saw your post on fame, and we are glad you decided to try us out as well.
I have to disagree with Rick over his statement about throwing it in the scrap bin, put it your recycle bin, nothing is finished with until it cannot be used for anything else :lol:
Hopefully you won't make many mistakes, but if you do, it is all good experience, you won't do the same thing again.
Enjoy yourself and get those grandkids interested as well, my grandson lives with us and I am just grooming him to be the next I.K.Brunel.

John

Paul:
welcome to the board . I commend you for raising your grand kids. We have a couple sets of friends doing the same thing.
My suggestion and the suggestion of folks that have written books on model engineering is set obtainable goals. Pick a couple of relatively easy projects to start. A Lucy or Mcabe Runner air engine are good starter projects.
Do not be discouraged I started two engines and set them aside then finished a couple of others then went back and finished the first ones.

Like I have said before the home shop is like a college engineering lab. no mistakes just learning experiences.
Good luck and God bless with your new endevers
Tin

Thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome and at home with this group. I can already see the folks in this group are my kind of people.

I appreciate each and everyone one of you and so look forward to learning from you. Thanks for helping me make my dream come true someday.

Paul

Tin Falcon said:
Paul:
welcome to the board . I commend you for raising your grand kids. We have a couple sets of friends doing the same thing.
My suggestion and the suggestion of folks that have written books on model engineering is set obtainable goals. Pick a couple of relatively easy projects to start. A Lucy or Mcabe Runner air engine are good starter projects.
Do not be discouraged I started two engines and set them aside then finished a couple of others then went back and finished the first ones.

Like I have said before the home shop is like a college engineering lab. no mistakes just learning experiences.
Tin

Tin where can I see a picture of a Lucy or Mcabe Runner engine and is there plans available for these engines. Others have suggested that I start with a Steam (air) engine first before graduating to a gas engine so I will certainly follow this sage advice.

One gentleman is sending me some plans for an engine that came out of live steam magazine. I have no idea of the degree of difficuly for me and it might be that one of the two engines you mentioned would be an easier build for me. I would like to see them. At this point, as recommened by everyone, I just want to build something that will familiarize me with my tools and equipment.

Thanks for all of the help, all of this sure is uplifiting to me and I so appreciate everyone's input and help, thanks again.

Paul

Tin Falcon said:
Paul:

Tin

Paul For the McCabe Runner,
You can see a picture and link to Prof. McCabe's web site where you can
download the plans at McCabe Runner

I also have a page about my build of it on my personal web site at:
My First Running Model Engine

It was my first. In fact I built it complete with nothing more than a drill
press.

Rick

Thanks Rick, I will goa nd check these sites out now.

Paul

rake60 said:
Paul For the McCabe Runner,
You can see a picture and link to Prof. McCabe's web site where you can
download the plans at McCabe Runner

I also have a page about my build of it on my personal web site at:
My First Running Model Engine

It was my first. In fact I built it complete with nothing more than a drill
press.

Rick

Paul : Looks like rick has you covered as far as the McCabe runner. as far as lucy check out the plans section of this forum under the title "Simple see though ocsilator" and "plan modification"
you also have fun with The easiest ? Engine to build. Altoids turbine!! very easy to build fun project for the grand kids.
BTW how old are the grand kids??
Tin

Thanks Tin, I will go and have a look at the Lucy as well as the turbine engine.

One of my grandsons is 13 years old and the other one just turned 18 years old. The 18 year old has a lot of problems as he was with his Mother during his early years when she started her bad lifestyle and he has experienced hell. There is not a wall or door in my house that does not have holes knocked in them due to his anger. I love him and have been with him since he took his first breath but these last two years has really taxed my wife and I.

Thanks for the concern.

Paul

Tin Falcon said:
Paul : Looks like rick has you covered as far as the McCabe runner. as far as lucy check out the plans section of this forum under the title "Simple see though ocsilator" and "plan modification"
you also have fun with The easiest ? Engine to build. Altoids turbine!! very easy to build fun project for the grand kids.
BTW how old are the grand kids??
Tin

wheelterrapin, welcome to the site! We are glad to have you on board. There are a lot of great folks here with many different talents, all of which are willing to share.

Feel free to get in here and ask anything you want. All of us started where you are, and have been up many different roads.

Your grandsons will both get a lot out of this hobby if they get involved. There will be many memories that they will have later on in life. It is hard dealing with a teenager that has a lot of anger, but hang in there. One day the person in the body will move out and another will move in. Once that happens, then there will be a bond there that no one else will understand. Whether they know it or not, they are fortunate to have you guiding them through life's many twists and turns! My hat's off to you.

Thanks Wareagle for the encouraging words of support, they come at a time when I needed them most. I have already benefited from the fine folks on this forum, a great bunch of guys who have a lot ofcompassion for the hobby and those in it.

It is so uplifting to talk to everyone and to be so encouraged, life is good when you are surrounded by good people like these on this forum.

Thanks for your response, it is great appreciated.

Paul

wareagle said:
wheelterrapin, welcome to the site! We are glad to have you on board. There are a lot of great folks here with many different talents, all of which are willing to share.

Feel free to get in here and ask anything you want. All of us started where you are, and have been up many different roads.

Your grandsons will both get a lot out of this hobby if they get involved. There will be many memories that they will have later on in life. It is hard dealing with a teenager that has a lot of anger, but hang in there. One day the person in the body will move out and another will move in. Once that happens, then there will be a bond there that no one else will understand. Whether they know it or not, they are fortunate to have you guiding them through life's many twists and turns! My hat's off to you.

Paul:
At 13 and 18 they should be able to handle the Lucy or runner engine. the altoids turbine is dead easy and just plain fun though. It gets lots of smiles at the shows especially if I have it turned off ,then turn it on while folks are looking at it. A candy tin does not normally start spinning on its own.
My son is just turning 18 I think it is a tough age for a boy. They are tying to be the MAN but are not experienced yet and there is still a lot of boy there.
Tin

Another good one is Brassy Babe or another one from Dave Goodfellow's collection. http://www.davegoodfellow.com/metalworking.html (scroll down). I did that one as my first oscillator, having maybe a total of 4 hours ever twiddling handles on a mill or lathe, spread over 20 years.

Hello,
My name is Paul Chretien. I am a home shop machinist from So. California, USA. my interest are model engine building and metal crafting in general. I am a member of the Southern California Home Shop Machinist, www.schsm.org.
My home shop is a two car garage which contains a Enco 12X36 lathe, M_Head B'port mill, and the usual shop complements.
I have been machining part time for 5 years and at every turn, I learn something new. I am amazed at the beauty and complexity of the projects made by your members.

Here are pictures of two of my engines. The first is a Stirling Engine designed by Terry Cross and the second is a Gearless Hit'N Miss designed by Phil Dulcos. Both engines were featured in Home Shop Machinist. Both engines run
PIC00004.jpg
s
PIC00026.jpg

Hi Paul,
Welcome to this forum. I think you'll find a lot of interesting stuff happening here.

Very nice engines, BTW. I've also built the Stirling featured in HSM but I didn't finish mine nearly as well as you did yours. In fact, I built 3 of them before I got it right. Then I took what I learned on #3 and fixed #1 and #2. They all run now but not reliably. Two of them are pictured in my avatar. To take a break I built a steam engine (my first) and completed it and got it to run.

Thats some fine work, you have found the rightplace to display and talk about it.

That is amazing work, we are happy to have you post it here and please feel free to post all you want and advise new engine builders. We need all your input.

Welcome. :)

Hello Paul

Welcome to HMEM

Very Nice Work Indeed!

Rick

Back