Another new guy!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yahoo!!! Another caster!!!!! Great job on your engine. Love the music on your video:eek:) Your engine looks and runs great!!!

Later, Wes

Fair do's... thats pretty sweet! you have all the best toys over there! ;D
You make those castings look easy!

your going to get some favourable comments on this one ;)

I really do like it.

Ralph.

Welcome to HMEM CallMeAL

Impressive work your doing there!

Rick

Al: You may have learned the hard way but you sure did learn goooood! Thank you for the great step by step video and the running video. That is sweeeeet! You must have done a fair amount of casting to get all those castings without porosity. Nice running engine and good tutorial, Thank You
don

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

As for casting, I've only made about 8 attempts so far besides melting aluminum to make ingots, but it is why I had to buy a mill and lathe so I could do something with the castings! ;)

Welcome Al...

Nice job... looks like it runs pretty smooth. Casting is something I want to learn how to do.

Eric

Hey, How tall is that steamer you have there? Looks to be fairly big?

Wes

Beautiful work. The castings really look nice. I think I see a sideline in your future if you wanted some payback from your hobby. Many of us would like casting done from time to time and no scource for that sort of thing.

WOW, awesome work Al! Did you design the engine yourself?

The VW on your website brought back memories. I worked on bugs in a small import shop from '67 through '71. There were a few pickups that came in for service along with the more plentiful buses and sedans.

Almost bought a pickup with a howling transaxle and a burnt valve (#3 of course) from a customer back then but couldn't russle up the $200! It's a good thing though because all I could think about in those days was hacking a hole in the pickup bed and dropping in a small-block Chevy and a Ford axle. It would have been a disaster I'm sure. No worse than the the 59 Opel wagon with a 283 stuffed into it a buddy threw together though. It's a wonder we lived through those days. ::)

Nice work Al. Nice start on a shop also. Took a quick look at your sight. I'm also a VW person. I've been driving VW's since 1970. That crew cab must of been brought over by somebody. I don't ever think they sold those style pickups over here. Maybe from Canada? Anyway nice to have ou aboard.

Bernd

Since I'm new I guess this is how you reply to questions:

Powder Keg: It about 16" tall, base is 7.5" x 6.5", fly wheel 7.5" dia.

Dickeybird: Yes - I used DesignCAD and SketchUp to try layouts and especially the valve porting. As for the 1962 blue double cab, yah - someone had raidused the wheel wells for big fat tires, which I had to fab and weld back in (I was a welder/mechanic in another life), find and replace the rear bumper, etc. At least the gates were straight and it had not been hit in the front end like so many I have seen.
I have owned several VW buses through the years.

dparker: I have had some trials learning to make castings, an example of what not to do - sand too wet:

DCP01093.jpg

Should look like this:

DCP01088.jpg

This was my 2nd casting attempt, I'm getting better each time.

Thanks all for the welcome.

What did your 2nd casting attempt become? Looks interesting.

Eric

Brass_Machine: It ended up like this:

Beware! I had the radio turned up and didn't realize the camera would pick it up so well!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60l7whGQ5OI[/ame]

Thats pretty cool. Reminds me of a Macabe runner almost. Your own design?

Eric

That is another Great engine!!! Thanks for sharing.

Wes

That is another Great engine!!! Thanks for sharing.

Wes

Thanks Wes. This was my first one, got the idea from a 1930's book for boys on how to build and engine with wood, sheet metal, and nails! I took the basic idea and made it heavy duty! It was a test to see if I could even make a little engine and make it work.
I figured if a kid could do it with wood and nails, i should be able to make one with all my stuff? ;D

Latest posts

Back