Another Knucklehead Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Terry !
With you, this is 'A Work In Progress' ,
With me, all 'A Work In Progress' you did , those are online lessons
Thank you for all !

I've wondered about the same thing and agree there is some point at which the flywheels will rotate out of alignment. A locking taper is used, and the nuts used on the early engines are tightened a couple hundred ft-lbs, but engine rebuilders invariably find them out of alignment. Later engines had the tapered pin pressed into the counterweights and some racers even welded the ends of the pins to the weights. - Terry

That is an awesome build. Thanks for sharing this great adventure. Do you have any build videos? That would be awesome to see. Your next project is going to have to be awesome because you have set the bar extremely high. Thank you again.

Bill

Hey Terry
First thank you for the complements on my design, but hats off to you, for the transformation of my piece of coal into the diamond you have created. Not to mention the fantastic, how to build documentation you have created. You have created a piece that should only end up in a museum. I am proud to be a small part of it.
Congratulations on a great build.
Jack
Draw-Tech

Hi All
A quick query
The flywheel starter pulley 3/32 slot is shown on the L/H side on the detail drawing but on the R/H side on the assembly drawing.
Which is correct?
Graham

If you use the camshaft specified in the drawing package, the engine will run counterclockwise when viewed from the cam box side of the engine, and you would place your starter rope slot accordingly to start it. If you use the camshaft that I designed, the engine will run clockwise when viewed from the cambox side of the engine, (the same direction as the full-size engine), and your starter rope slot location would have to be reversed. Be aware that if you use my camshaft, the oil pump's inlet/outlet locations will also have to be swapped to accommodate the direction change from the original drawings. Best of luck... - Terry

Thanks Terry
I am making it to the downloaded drawings, so should the slot be on the right or left on that detailed drawing of the flywheel starter pulley?
Graham

Graham,
I don't have access to the drawings right now, but in that case, standing on the flywheel side of the engine, you'll then want your starter rope slot on the left hand side of the pulley so that when you pull the rope upward, the engine will be rotating clockwise as the rope leaves the pulley. - Terry

Terry,
I really appreciate the personal response, and do not want to hijack your thread, so I will only ask a tiny bit more, and then start a build thread so as not to impose on others. For the project I am starting (52cc diesel, horizontal, crosshead) I was planning to use 12L14 for the head (with water passages), 316 stainless for the valves, normalized 4130 DOM tube for the cylinder (with water jacket), purchased Tanaka 1.5 mm thick rings, and possibly Nitronic 60 stainless for the piston (very good galling resistance and I have some of it on hand). Your endorsement of C544 for the valve guides checks off another box in the material list. I admit that I'd rather work with 7075 for the head, but it is a simple design so the 12L14 will still be easy to work. I am guessing that you will say that with a 12L14 head, either the C544 or the 12L14 head material will be suitable. Again, thank you so much for your response. The freedom with which you and all the forum members share their knowledge is much appreciated.
Lloyd

Hi All
Making sure and steady progress on my Knucklehead.
Just ordered the belts and pulleys from across the water in America.
A further query?
I presume the starter motor is always engaged even when the engine is running on petrol.!
Graham

The drawing of the camshaft shows:-
(Currently set up to machine key ways in camshaft but)
Center bottom, order of lobes on camshaft is different to that of top right picture.
Any idea which is correct?
Graham

The drawing of the camshaft shows:-
(Currently set up to machine key ways in camshaft but)
Center bottom, order of lobes on camshaft is different to that of top right picture.
Any idea which is correct?
Graham

Graham,
I remember running into inconsistencies in those drawings as well, but since I designed my own camshaft I never spent the time trying to figure out the machining of the original one. Are you really sure you want to stick with the original unproven 'big bang' cam? It isn't at all clear that such a cam will work with a single carburetor set-up. - Terry

Hi Terry
Designing a cam is way beyond my capabilities.
I will have to study all the drawings and come up with something? to guide me.
At the end of the day it will be used more for display at exhibitions than for running.
Still thank you all the same.
Graham

Latest posts

Back