Another Karl Benz 1886 Engine and Motor Wagon.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the beautiful work you see in this thread has been done by Edward. I have not posted any pictures of my engine. Why not email Tolsten Shur and ask if he will send you a GA drawing.
Thank you for that advice, might you have that email!

Having got inspired by the thread started by gg89220, I purchased the castings from TS Models-Germany, and started work. As some time was spent before the castings arrived, I thought of doing some work on the Wagon. I contacted TonyM, who also was showing interest in gg89220's build, regarding constructing the Wagon. After a few communications I constructed the wheels first.
View attachment 116077
View attachment 116078
View attachment 116079
The tube frame was formed, and by that time the castings were received.
View attachment 116080
Pictures of the engine construction will follow soon.
Edward and others building this model;
I am redrawing this engine in a bit smaller scale than I perceive to be 1/3rd scale, is this correct? Would any of you be willing to correspond via email? I am wanting to model this 1/4th scale, so I'll need a few dimension's, like the bore size and overall length of the cylinder casting.

Hi Ken.
The scale of the TS castings are close to 1/3. I have some basic drawings of the engine to that scale that I have done in order to more reflect the original. I have PM'd you.
johwen from down under. It is easy to change the dimensions from 1/3rd scale to 1/4 scale. Just multiply the 1/3rd scale by 3 and then divide by 4 will give 1/4 scale or very close for those who want to change the scale. Example if full size is 12 inches 1/3rd would be 4 inches and 1/4 scale would be 3 inches Cheers John

Hi Ken.
The scale of the TS castings are close to 1/3. I have some basic drawings of the engine to that scale that I have done in order to more reflect the original. I have PM'd you.
Good day TonyM, not being a frequent blog or internet user, I do not understand "PM'd" please explain to this old man. Thank you for your generous offer. All information of course will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for that advice Tony, I am well on the way of creating the 1/4 scale 3D model. Might be a slow struggle, but entertaining and educational though. Once I have enough to create an assembly I will start a thread if any one is interested.

Last edited:
I sent a scan of the engine plans

I sent a scan of the engine plans

I dont see mentioned if you have seen the car at the MB Museum in Stuttgart. I worked for Mercedes-Benz of NA. One of the fellows I worked with had been in charge of the apprentice program, and that was who built the model you see in the museum today. When Daimler celebrated its 100 anniversary, he drove the model in a parade they had.

DSCF0161Eweb.jpg

DSCF0165web.jpg

DSCF0187web.jpg

DSCF0191Eweb.jpg

IMG_7763Eweb.jpg

IMG_7765Eweb.jpg

IMG_7770Eweb.jpg

IMG_7774Eweb.jpg

IMG_7820Eweb.jpg

IMG_7838Eweb.jpg

Good day TonyM, not being a frequent blog or internet user, I do not understand "PM'd" please explain to this old man. Thank you for your generous offer. All information of course will be much appreciated.
Hi Ken
It means there is a private message for you. Click on the envelope icon next to your name and you can read it. It means you don't need to put personal information on the open forum where the spambots can get your info.
In any case I emailed you.
Tony

Beautifully presented Edward.
I also love the steam plane and the steam engine I found you made. Really impressed with those too and I am sure others on here would love to see them on this site too.
Tony

Latest posts

Back