Another “Tiny” I.C. My first model engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just can't seem to leave Tiny alone. I feel bad that I took him apart.

I got some polishing done today.
P1050730.JPG

I lightly scraped then sanded the con rod big end. There was a significant amount of Anodizing present. Not sure if I got it all off or if it will be a problem.
Anodizing is oxidizing the surface of the metal. In this case that would be "Aluminum Oxide" You know, the stuff they make sandpaper out of.
There is not much more I can do about it so I will see what happens when running it. The small end will tell all. Not much I can do there (.093" ). I will check the wrist pin frequently after getting it going again. If I don't scrap the crank first I can always make another con rod.

A couple more parts to polish and I have to engrave "Tiny" on the side. At this rate I will probably have it done over the weekend.

Scott

I got Tiny put back together !! ( I feel better now )
So before I got it all dirty by running it, I decide to do some "Glam" shots. Sorry about the dust, I really did not see it until I looked at the enlarged pictures :(
I originally made the crankshaft long so I could machine off the center drill holes when done. But then considered H&M and left the material there. So until I really make that decision, my crank sticks out past my flywheels. It bugs me too .
When I get it running again I will do another video. Until then, here are the photos.

Scott
Click for larger image

P1050742.JPG
P1050744.JPG
P1050745.JPG
P1050747.JPG
P1050748.JPG
P1050750.JPG
P1050751.JPG
P1050752.JPG

And a few shots with some common items for scale

P1050753.JPG
P1050754.JPG

Beautiful looking engine! I think the colors really add to it.

Thanks George !!

I have been running it this morning and working on the tune. I may have video yet today.

Also
I added some Black Chalk to my 2 part silicon putty and re-cast the boot. It set up fine and now I have a black spark plug boot.
The light blue just looked a bit off with the other blue. I like this better.

:) Scott

P1050757.JPG

Tiny is finished !
Back together and running pretty good. Not quite as good as before I took it apart but close. A little more fiddling with it and I am sure it will be good again.
I tuned it for best lean mix with the throttle bore wide open. It was typically running about 6100rpm. Not quite there in this video. I have been using a little capplug with a brass tube in it for a choke. The main bore is .094" and the I.D. of the choke tube is .065". This tells me it will likely respond to a simple butterfly throttle well. It will run pretty good for quite some time at the 24-2500rpm when choked. And it stays cooler much longer.

I am really happy with it. It has taken me almost ten years to get to it, I am so glad I did. :)

Thank you all for watching, commenting and liking. 👍 It was fun to share

Scott

Also thanks to eccentric for posting the inductive tach link in Terry's 300 thread !! It works good. it is within 20-30rpm of my other tach.

Thanks !
I bought the complete ignition system from Roy Sholl Here The wire is 24 ga 10kv .1" diameter. ( included in kit )
I got the "Complete CDI ignition system".

Scott

I havent been here on the forum in years. Add another count of 2 for the number of these made, or maybe 3? The second one I made I redesigned as a twin. I need to make my own thread about this I think!

Welcome back Lee.
Would like to see your Twin Tiny.
Gail

I took it out of the display and into the shop. Started right up even though I hadn't done anything with it for 10 years! Took a quick video and some pics. Will make a new thread in a day or two

Hi Scott!
" My first model engine "
Your first engine is 1000 times better than mine.
The engine is really nice, runs great.
Congratulation !

Hi Minh Thanh
Thank you very much :)
While it is my First model engine, I am no stranger to the machine shop.
My daddy had me in front of a lathe before I was tall enough to see over the bench. Running a 6" Atlas standing on a milk crate more than 50 years ago. He saw my mechanical ability early and encouraged it.
Thanks Dad !😇

Scott

Latest posts

Back