Annealing Cast Iron

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google it , it is easy to find in a few seconds and contains more information that could be posted here !

Try a charcoal fire place the iron part in fire and place Vermiculite over top at lest 12"
Note just go to your local garden center for Vermiculite very low cost

Dave

I think that in order to better answer your question, it would be helpful to have more information. For example, what size is the casting? Why do you want to anneal it (stress relieving, removing "hard spots", improving machinability)?

Also - I found some discussion at the link below which may interest you; although I agree with your point that often just doing a web search is not all that useful, since most of the links are either theoretical or geared toward industrial processes. It's useful to hear practical advice from a home machinist who has "been there, done that."

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139995

If its to get rid of hard spots I generally like to get the part to a good bright red and hold it there for 20mins and then allow to cool slowly as possible. If you have an open fire or wood burner chuck it in there for the night and allow it to cool in teh ashes until morning.

I am annealing the part due to it being hard in general and I want to make them easier to machine. I have a kiln and a burnout oven to do the annealing in.

Thanks

Tim

Back