Analog read out

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steamnut2010 said:
For critical work, I use the various sized micrometers, and use the expanding thingys (help me out here with the name) for measuring inside the bore.
The expanding thingy springs out, and you lock it, then put the micrometer on it.

Im gonna take a wild guess here but since the expanding thingy "locks" then its likely what I call a telescoping gauge, or T-gauge for short. ;D

Bingo, telescoping gauge, that is it.

Thanks Jeff

This site needs a dictionary of commonly used machining terms/devices/photos.
That would really help the new guys.

steamnut2010 said:
Bingo, telescoping gauge, that is it.

Thanks Jeff

This site needs a dictionary of commonly used machining terms/devices/photos.
That would really help the new guys.
Your welcome.

The web is full of that stuff, google is your friend, wikipedia is a guide.

Measuring is usually a different skillset from machining, although they go hand in hand. I have had no formal machining training but did have measuring training in auto mechanics trade school.

I learned three very valuable lessons with one t-guage demonstration. The instructor showed us how to use a t-guage to measure a cylinder bore on an american v8 engine. Then he stuck the gauge in the bore parallel to the crankshaft centerline, used the heel of his hands to squeeze the bore on the opposite sides as the guage, and the gauge fell out. This guy wasnt 55kg soaking wet, so he was a pretty short skinny guy, and about 80 years old.
The lessons, metal moves quite easily in thousandth's of inches no matter how strong it looks; dont deform the part your measuring or the tool your measuring it with; sometimes you need the part deformed in place and assembled to get the true measurement you need.

Latest posts

Back