an old engine comes to life

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck foster

Reaction score
well my dad took on this project last month, it is an old gas engine made in galt ontario. it is called "the goldie & Mc culloch co. ltd."

i don't have a before pic but what i can tell you is if it shows up as brass in the next few pictures he made it !

the first pic the copper tank is for the cooling water, it doesn't have a water pump instead it realise on thermo syphon to keep the water moving. the yellow lettering on the side of engine base shows the pattent date of 1897

IMG_3558.jpg

the second picture shows the carburetor and all the gas lines. there is a fuel pump that pumps gas from the gas tank (located in the base of the engine) up to the overflow type fuel bowl (the glass thing that looks like a drip oiler).
the extra fuel the engine don't need flows back to the fuel tank.
the big wooden knob with the brass pointer on it is the needle valve.

IMG_3565.jpg

the next picture shows the fuel pump

IMG_3564.jpg

the really interesting thing about this engine is the fact that it controls it speed by closing both the intake and exhaust valves.
99% of the hit and miss type engines control there speed by holding the exhaust valve open which allows the engine to slow down.

it is about 4 h.p. and weighs about 500 to 600 pounds.

the guy dad did the repair work for will be taking the engine apart and doing all the painting and polishing to get it ready for the shows.

chuck

That's some fine work on that old engine. :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

When you look at other engines of the same time period, that is a classic case of over engineering. It would make Rube Goldberg proud to see someone take a simple concept and turn it into that.

It certainly makes an interesting challenge to make it run again.

one thing i forgot to mention is that all the brass work was remade according to some pictures that dad had of the engine.
the pictures he had were from an old manual that described how to install the engine and how to run it. we think it is as close to original as possible.
the owner of the engine has located a couple other engines but both are bigger in size, and are missing all the brass parts as well.
i guess the brass was removed at some point and sold for scrap, the only brass that was on the engine when dad got it was the name tag, and it is appropriate to post it here.
IMG_3495.jpg

chuck

Back