Amberly steam show

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

compound driver

Hi
Spent the day at the Amberly museum model steam day yesterday. Almost 50 traction engines road loccos and showmans engines in scales from the little 1 inch to the huge 6 inch to the foot turned up. Superb day with loads to see and do.
Good chance to catch up with some people and order a set of drawings from MJ engineering.

A few pictures to give an idea.

amberly3.jpg

amberly2.jpg

amberly1.jpg

Cheers kevin

Absolutely wonderful Kevin,
I pity the poor people who have never been to one of these rallies, I get high on the smell of burning coal, oil and steam all mixed together.
A smell you never forget.

John

Kevin,

That is great of you to show us the pictures. I like looking at the model tractors. :D

Do the guys that build them make the rubber tires? That has been puzzeling me.

Kenny

Hi kenny

Most of us make our own tires but the best way is to have them vulcanised onto the rim. Most of my engines being agricultural have steel shod wheels so no need for rubber.
Full size practice was to vulcanise the rubbers to steel bands that were then fitted over the strakes.

One way in the smaller scales is to use V belts bonded onto the rim. looks not so good but takes a lot of the clatter out of road driving.

Cheers Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

That clears it up. I just didn't know.

Kenny

IL be doing a write up on building the back wheels on the 2 inch in the next few weeks much like the boiler build posts.
Think that should show you how the wheels are made from the hubs out.

Cheers Kevin

This post is now closed, but there may be useful information contained within, so has been left in for your perusal.

Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back