Am I missing something?!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

///

Simon
Reaction score
Was just having a quick look around on ebay when I saw this Vertical Slide for minilathes:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RDGTOOLS...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item5648d4809a

Seriously?!!
980 pounds, almost $1500, for a vertical slide and a bracket? And 46 of them have been sold?!!
I'm in the wrong business!

The exact same vertical slide, sans the bracket, can be had from the same seller, for 60 pounds/$90.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RDGTOOLS...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item43ac733f04

So, almost $1400 for a 'Z'-shaped bracket?
What part of this am I not getting?
Dumbfounded.

Edit: I keep re-reading the advert trying to find where it says you get the lathe with it!

Last edited:
I have often seen really high prices for things, £800+ over what they normally are, and I can only think that instead of removing the listing they just put the price up to stop people buying them whilst something gets sorted behind the scenes.

Its the only reason I can put to it. Ask the seller a question....

Rob. :)

Edit:

Looking at the sold items, they all went for 79.50 so the seller put a nine infront to stop people buying them at this time, OR its an ebay mistake...

Last edited:
Must be some Australian exchange rate? Less than six months I bought the exact "Small Milling Vertical Slide for Emco or Mini lathes", and the Z-bracket. RDG Price: £49.58 Free UK Mainland Postage, the bracket I don't remember how it was, but cheap enough. Although it was a cast iron thingy, ground all around. There's quite a discrepancy between 980 pounds (Aus? Are there AU dollars?) and £49.58. RDG price is still valid.

Olli, that is 980 British Pounds.... so $1500 aussie dollars!
Our keyboards don't have the Pound Sterling symbol and I was too slack/tired (it was 2am) to use an Alt code (Alt+0163 = £)

Actually, I like RManly's theory. They may be out of stock of the Z bracket so have made the price prohibitive instead of removing the listing.
Makes sense really, they can keep the 'number sold' history that way.

Cheers RM Thm:

I asked RDG about that type of high pricing and Rob is correct in his assumption. They had sold out but did not want to remove the listing. Later when the item was in stock again, the price went down to normal.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

A similar Ebay story. A Bijor lube pump, Used, had a BIN price of $5000, thats right $5k Bucks. New list price is around $550 had a Best offer so I offered $50, and bought it for $60. Goodness knows what is the logic to jack a price that high, Part of a listing cost is the opening or BIN price.

I would think its not a smart choice, as if an item you are looking for has a lot of listings, I narrow the list by selecting a price range, and 5k would never be within the range of a search like that. This search was by highest first, so it cane up near the first page.

I have both of these items in a setup, and if you was to do it this way, ( l shaped bracket) you will lose much movement. You cannot center the vice, and you will run out of y movement when it gets close.
Here is a pic of my solution, here I can center vise with movement of the table. And with a few different mounting holes it will open more possibilities. Mounted at edge will also give full Z movement while clearing cross slide. It attaches to the crossslde mounting holes, which gives angle drilling options. Also this vise has a habit of pushing part away when tightening, my solution is to put a piece of sandpaper between work and table, then take a feeler gauge, or shim and wrap it with sandpaper, this will keep it straight in the vise when locking down. I like the vise itself, seems to perform ok.

image.jpg

Back