Always pay attention to your work.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rookie machinist

Had an accident Tuesday morning where I cut my left hand severly with a skill saw(cut 2 tendons and 40 stiches). I was cutting scrap wood at work to haul to the dumpster and fell into a rythm, cut and toss. Had my hand too close to the saw when it kicked back and nailed my left hand. This is something I have done for 15 years and it only took a second to ruin my day. I am lucky I was not hurt worse. Just goes to show accidents can happen at any time and you always have to pay attention.

DAMN!
I hope that all heals well for you!!!

Hands on the work, head on the hands.
They are the most valuable tools a craftsman will ever own.
A machine that is designed to cut will cut anything. It doesn't know the
difference between wood, steel and flesh.

Best wishes for your recovery.

Holy cow that stinks. wood working tools seem to always be balls to the wall PRM and scare me enough to slow down and take extra care when using.

Im sorry to hear about this, keep us posted on how you are doing. :(

take care, mike.

Man that hurts just thinking about it! I hope you heal quickly and completely!

A little off topic, but has anybody seen the table saws tha have the (suposedly) safety system that stops the blade instantly when flesh comes into contact with it. Somewhere I saw a video clip of a guy testing it out and it was freaky. The blade was running full speed and the guy placed his finger against it and it stopped instantly without cutting the skin.

My brother did the same thing a few years back. A couple years later he also was holding a 2x4 in place & used a paslode gas nailer to nail her down. The nail hit a knot & shot out the side, right through his hand! I've been lucky in that respect, but just one slip of thought & I'll join the ranks. Easy to happen to most anyone!

I work in a emergency room and have the opportunity to see quite a bit of "home remodel" accidents. I remember when I attended technical school during my senior year and one of my classmates was pulling a ribbon of stainless of a piece that was turning in the lathe and it wrapped around his hand and halfway up his forearm before the lathe was shut off( cut the hell out of him). Our teacher told us that you need to respect the POWER of the machine and to use what god gave you between your ears

Back