Aluminum vs Mild Steel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaffman

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
I'm new here and my first question to those who may have an answer to it is, What would be the advantages and disadvantage bewteen making Tuning rims for Congas and Bongos out of Aluminum or what is primarily used, mild steel? I know that the weight is an advantage, but I'm concerned about the structural pros and cons with using Aluminum for this application. I'm not sure how many PSI are on a tuned Conga or Bongo drum, but since they are tuned with a normal wrench, it can't incredably much.
I appreciate any and all thoughts on this. Thanks!

Pfaffman

Pfaffman please tell us a bit about yourself on the welcome section and also about these Bongo and Congo engines. I have been a home model engine machinist for several years now but these beasties are new to me.

Herbie,
Not engines, but musical instruments:
Chuck

bongo-drum.jpg

conga.jpg

Ohhh. Silly me. HMIM. Home Musical Instrument Maker. Rof}

I am not a musician.

Purely from a reverse-engineering perspective, it looks like the metal choice on the commercial product has more to do with the manufacturing process (stamping, cutting, bending, forming, etc.) than with the properties of the materials themselves. I you chose to mill the part from a solid block of material you might be able to use something else, but would the cost in money for materials and your time be quite high relative to what you want to do.

Just a thought.

--ShopShoe

With any accustic insturment vibration is everything. This the steel would probably vibrate more than the alum.

I am not a musician.

Purely from a reverse-engineering perspective, it looks like the metal choice on the commercial product has more to do with the manufacturing process (stamping, cutting, bending, forming, etc.) than with the properties of the materials themselves. I you chose to mill the part from a solid block of material you might be able to use something else, but would the cost in money for materials and your time be quite high relative to what you want to do.

Just a thought.

--ShopShoe

A well thought out and gentleman like response to a first time poster.

I guess my thoughts would be similar to yours and in line with mrspoom's as well.

Primary reason for using steel is that. for a given thickness of material, steel is much stronger. For musical properties bronze might be more appropriate, but steel is much stronger and stands up better to the wear and tear - which for airplanes would be called hangar rash. Steel is also much easier to form through varios stamping and bending processes which often have the side effect of improving the strength of the finished part.

Latest posts

Back