aluminium supplier

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blighty

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
hi all,

just thought i would let the U.K frequenters on this forum know about an ali supplier that i have found that you may or may not know about.

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/

i was just looking up prices for a 2" round and compared it to same 2" stock i got from eBay. the place on eBay is the cheapest i have found so far, but as normal it's the P+P that gets you.

so for comparison...... the 2"od x 500mm from eBay cost £29 P+P inc. from this new place it works out at £19.16.

there is a good and bad side to this.

good......
buy the looks of things they only charge £14.50 P+P on what ever you buy........ i put one item in the shopping basket and went through the process. at the end it charged me £14.50 P+P. i then canceled the order and did it again, but with 8 items and still at the end was charged £14.50 P+P.
the more you buy the cheaper it is.

bad side.......
on curtain sizes you can only get a min of 2000mm in length.
they seem to only stock 6082T6

so to round up, i ordered the following.

1" 5/8 x 2000mm
16mm x 2000mm
20mm x 2000mm
30mm x 2000mm

bill came in to just over 90 quid to my door. personally i think that's a lot of ali for 90 quid.

or do you guys know some were cheaper?

hi fcheslop,

if there not the cheapest then could you tell us who is?

just had a look at m-machines website, it seems ok for the odd little bit if you live just down the road. but if i got my order from them it would of cost twise as much, then you have P+P.

Hi, go scrap yard hunting they sell by weight plus a little bit or try and find friendly factories although they are now in short supply.Become a scrounger :big:
best wishes Frazer

fcheslop said:
Hi, go scrap yard hunting they sell by weight plus a little bit or try and find friendly factories although they are now in short supply.Become a scrounger :big:
best wishes Frazer

I was looking for metal at a local scrap yard before i found "no size too small" suppliers. Was able to pick up a 2"OD AL6061-T6 x 5feet for $25. (around $2.50/lb)

When I went to a proper metal supplier I found I got 1.5" OD x 3feet for $20. (around $5/lb)

It was a pain going to the scrap yard since they didn't have much. But the savings can be worth it if you get lucky.

Ian

Latest posts

Back