Aluminium grade for engine case

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lensman57

Reaction score
Hi to all,

I intend to start work on a small 1.3cc compression ignition engine. The BOM calls for 2024 T3 Aluminium in a square shape, I can only get hold of 2014 H15 Aluminium. Can some one advise me on the suitabilty of 2014 please.

Regards,

A.G

wow it's been a while since i looked through the "-9" as we called it.

it's interesting they specifically call for 2024 t3. that's pretty hard aluminum. about the only thing harder that was common in the airforce was 7075 T6. the alloy you have is comparable to 2024, they have the same copper content which is the hardening element. but the strain hardened condition may not be as hard. is this a problem? maybe not but i'm not an engineer. i don't know why they chose 2024 in t3 condition. but you can do something about it. the 2014 can be heat treated to t4 or t6 rather easily if you can find a shop that can heat treat it. t-6 would give very similar properties to the 2024 t3.

Many thanks to both Tin and dman,

2014 H15 is usually called for ic engine connecting rods, so I guess as you have pointed out it may be acceptable.

Many thanks,

A.G

Latest posts

Back