Aloha from Waianae!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kludge

Hi, folks,

So nice to find you all.

I'm 63; ex- a bunch of things (Better a has been than a never was, right?); 100% disabled vet; father of the most wonderful, beautiful, precious, loved and spoiled (of course) daughter in the universe; retired minister; and all around odd person with around 50 years worth of off & on background in machining, machine design, electronics, electric machinery and several other pertinent fields. Even so I look at myself as being in perpetual learn mode since I know there are always people who know more than I do and always will be.

Noelle is a big part of why I've jumped back into making machines. She has MS and a host of other autoimmune disorders, and I like to find things to help take her mind off the resultant weakness & pain. Since we can't be together for a variety of reasons (She's in Iowa, some 3500 miles away.), the next best thing is to make her do-nothing machines the whole purpose of which is to make her smile, even if for only a moment. She loves Daddy-made things and I love making them so this isn't a major hurdle.

My primary two thrusts will be into compressed air driven steam machines (I hesitate to call them all engines.) and similar electric machines, some of which could be considered motors or, as some early patents call them, engines. Since I have an interest in Steampunk-like machine design and construction (ie, Victorian era) and have no problem creating an alternate history for the machines to live in, I'm not encumbered by historic accuracy. I also have a sense of humor that ranges from whimsical to bordering on outrageous and I don't mind letting it into my machine designs.

On the other hand, I've been reviewing patents from 1850 on to around 1920-1930 and have found a whole great lot of machines that suggest I won't be straying all that far either. It's so nice whern the USPO is so helpful like that. For example, you know that new invention, the coil gun? I found 19th century patents covering the same thing. Funny how that works.

At the moment, I'm in research mode since I started overhauling my shop to make it more efficient, a project in which Murphy took an immediate interest to the end that I have no clue when it'll be finished. Buried in that shop are three watchmaker's lathes (one each 6, 8 and 10mm), a Unimat SL-1000, a Taig lathe wit the additional toys to use it as a horizontal mill, and a watchmaker's drill press. Also are a multi-function micro-welder (and resistance soldering "iron"?) of the home made variety and handtools sized to match all this. There are other toys but the idea of enjoying really small work should be obvious by now.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Unless I get a better offer, of course.

Best regards,

Kludge

Kludge,

Welcome.

Sense of humour is a must, weired and wonderful designs are a definite bonus.

Big or small, all accepted here.

Bogs

Kludge,

Welcome to the club. I have quite the background as well... Many ex-careers in my life. Retired minister? Very cool. I am trying to go back to school to get a degree in theology. I am aiming to be a deacon at some point.

Steampunk. The future that never was. Neo-Victorian. There are a few of us here that are interested in that. Myself included. Here is a lamp that I did not too long ago:

Lamp%202%20Pic%202.JPG

Follow my link in my signature for a site dedicated to projects that don't quite fit here.

Sounds like you have a good start to your shop. Jump in and get building ;)

Eric

Hi Kludge,

I can't wait to see your offerings, I have been told a few times that I put a little Victorian touch to my works....I've also been told one part looks like a 1920's car wheel!! :D
I don't Know how you can use machines that small, I just tend to crush the little stuff!! Hands are little like shovels so I'm told ???

Enjoy your research and post some photo's when you start your creating. ;D

Ralph.

Welcome Kludge,

I also am disabled and its so nice to see others in this hobby making the best of their time. We have just got to be a little more planned and a little more aware.......

Nice to hear from you and good luck for the future. This really is an excellent site (I only joined recently) and its amazing the knowedge base available....

Kluge:
Aloha welcome to the forum. her is link to a few engines I have built and played around with designs. My wife came up with the idea for a heart shaped engine. We figured out how to make it happen.
Tins Engines
Looking forward to seeing your work
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
... My wife came up with the idea for a heart shaped engine. We figured out how to make it happen.
Tins Engines
Looking forward to seeing your work
Tin

I have seen that engine in person. Very very cool.

Eric

Welcome kluge
pull up some big gears and & stay awile. dont for get to oil them now & then

DickDastardly40 said:
Pull up a log close to the campfire, nice to meet you.

If you'd like to see some alternative machinery design and construction check out the finger engine blast build competition from a couple of months ago:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=2063.0

Um, not Kiawe, if you don't mind. It tends to have thorns. ;D

I checked out the thread and got a huge giggle from it. (Imagine, if you will, a 260 pound, 6'-3" gnome giggling. ;)) I also saw some cool ideas that went into my mental file. Of course, given my mental state, I probably would have been better off writing them down.

Since I'm a little late for thatone, I hope to be online for the next ... ummm ... challenge.

Best regards,

Kludge

Brass_Machine said:
Welcome to the club. I have quite the background as well... Many ex-careers in my life. Retired minister? Very cool. I am trying to go back to school to get a degree in theology. I am aiming to be a deacon at some point.

Steampunk. The future that never was. Neo-Victorian. There are a few of us here that are interested in that. Myself included. Here is a lamp that I did not too long ago:
Follow my link in my signature for a site dedicated to projects that don't quite fit here.

Sounds like you have a good start to your shop. Jump in and get building ;)

Were doing the theology thing in reverse. I started off as a theology student with an interest in comparative religions and wound up a nondenominational minister. Now getting out is a problem so I'll finish (well, continue) my education online.

Anyway, you're right about Steampunk. I've got a variation on it that suggests the Babylon Battery was, in truth, a battery and not an isolated event but lead to a mature technology by the late 19th century. Implicit in this is that DC technology was also mature as was electromagnetics. AC remained a laboratory curiosity along with DC motors as we know them. There's more that one of these days I'll post on my blog.

I love your lamp. That is classic. Er, literally. I tagged your site and will be cruising it for ideas and, of course, odd commentary as usual. :)

Murphy and I have been having an extended discussion about the shop. I think everyone knows how they work out.

Best regards,

Kludge

Divided He ad said:
I can't wait to see your offerings, I have been told a few times that I put a little Victorian touch to my works....I've also been told one part looks like a 1920's car wheel!! :D

I don't Know how you can use machines that small, I just tend to crush the little stuff!! Hands are little like shovels so I'm told ???

Enjoy your research and post some photo's when you start your creating. ;D

Hmmm ... 1920s car wheel ... did you happen to get the rest of the car? ;D

I love the look of the Victorian era - amusing since I used to write very futuristic science fiction - "hero epic space opera" as someone called it once. (Of course, I never got published in SF but that's of minor consequence.) By going with Steampunk and related alternate histories, I get to answer both areas. Besides, it's fun, and fun is what it's all about!

I had a mentor many years ago who endlessly told me, and I quote, "Anyone can make something big and have it work. It takes a craftsman to make the same thing small and have it still work." This same gentleman introduced me to machining on a Unimat DB-200, the older cousin of my SL-1000. (His highest praise was a grudging "It'll do," which only came well after perfection.) He's the one who got me started on working on small projects and challenging myself to work even smaller. It's actually a lot of fun though I've got the age old problem of needing a bit of vision enhancement to be able to see what I'm doing.

Even with what I have, I'm looking at two more lathes, a Sieg C-0 (Yeah, I know ... bad rep and all) and a Clisby (before they completely close down) which is basically tiny. Against this, I remember seeing a picture here of a really neat little crankshaft (1mm throw diameter, as I remember) make on a full size lathe which simply says small equipment isn't necessary to work small.

And, yes, I'll post photos and, if I get a camera, videos even. I mean other than the ones destined to be my eyes on the lathes et al.

Best regards,

Kludge

Metal Mickey said:
I also am disabled and its so nice to see others in this hobby making the best of their time. We have just got to be a little more planned and a little more aware.......

Nice to hear from you and good luck for the future. This really is an excellent site (I only joined recently) and its amazing the knowedge base available....

Planned? Is that really necessary? :)

I don't really see myself as handicapped. Yes, I have a problem or two but who doesn't? I just have some problems the VA is willing to pay me a [almost liveable] pension for. On the other hand, I'm horizontally enhanced so that may be some form of compensation. I live 50 yards from the ocean surrounded by absolutely wonderful neighbors, somewhere to get some exercise and ono grindz which are responsible for my overly abundant opu.

I was guided here from the Yahoo Little Engines group when the subject of solenoid engines came up. After cruising a bit I came to the same conclusion - many really cool people and a major knowledge base is available to which I hope to contribute in time.

As I mentioned in my intro, my daughter's not 100% either but she's the center of my life - heck, she is my life - and is the most courageous person I've ever known. She's my top priority (with a book I'm working on a distant second) and the entire reason I'm rebuilding the shop in detail. This will take more time than usual which is not being helped by Murphy's intrusion. Of course, this gives me time to apply the "scary sharp" exercise to things like the gravers so they're ready when I am, and time to find really cool things to make.

By the way, in addition to the USPO, Google Books has also been a treasure trove of books dated prior to 1920 which have wonderful devices to model as well. Among other things I found a generator there that I've been re-designing to make it 1.) weird, and 2.) even weirder. Once I have a decent sketch, I'll put it up ... somewhere. ;D

Best regards,

KLudge

Thank you, folks, for the welcome. Hopefully, I'll be able to warrant such warmth and kindness.

Tin, I love the engines. Some of the Very Strange Materials I have to work with is ammo brasses of a variety of sizes. I also have a number of wooden pen blanks (I used to turn wooden pens.) and some craft millwork. I suspect I'll be using your lead to create some strangeness of my own.

Bogs, a sense of humor is absolutely critical ... well, a swarf pan, goggles and a sense of humor. Ummm ... and my coffee. NOTHING turns without my coffee at my side. (A Chief I knew in the Navy had a holster for his cup. I'm thinking of making one for myself.)

Itowbig, a "large" gear. Hmmm ... Since I have a bunch of watch & clock parts, what's large? Also, what's this "oil" stuff? ;D

Best regards,

Kludge

Kludge, The 'tyre' was my last go at a different flywheel on a steam engine! It was tagged by BretK I think?

The small crank on a large lathe was a Bogstandard production and I have learned the secret to it's creation.... Have more talent than me!!! ;D

Glad to know the photo's are available... They are a most enjoyable part of the forum :D

Ralph.

Folks, I have been totally overwhelmed by the responses - by the people - here. It was totally unexpected and now I feel like I'm part of a huge and diversified family of sorts - as a side note, one significantly more functional than my [un]natural family.

I've mentioned that I'm getting back into the game because of Noelle and making things for her. There are other reasons - fabricating and repairing WW II (and later) radio equipment for my book and, farther down the list, the giant scale B-25 - but Noelle is the very top of the list. The wealth of information here and the answers to my questions have helped immensely in that effort, and I hope what I know about working with really small stuff can help people here in some way. It's a lot of fun after you get used to the idea that your "fingers" bear a striking resemblence to tweezers. :)

I do have one question though. The :-* smiley ... does it get much play here? ;D

Mahalo nui loa

Best regards,

Kludge

Kludge said:
I do have one question though. The :-* smiley ... does it get much play here? ;D

Best regards,

Kludge

Now there is something that I've never taken note of!
12.gif

Should I replace it with something more useful such as.....
noidea-1.gif

I find that one suiting me perfectly most of the time! LOL

Rick

rake60 said:
Now there is something that I've never taken note of!

Well, darn. And here I was holding out hope for ... ummm ... never mind. Wrong forum; this isn't match.com. ;D

Should I replace it with something more useful such as.....
noidea-1.gif

I find that one suiting me perfectly most of the time! LOL

I think I'll use it quite a lot. Cluelessness is a character trait of mine.

Best regards.

Kludge

Back