Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Island Guy

Reaction score
Aloha all! My name is Al, and I live on Hawaii Island, AKA, the 'Big Island'.
I've loved miniature engines of all sorts since I was a kid in the 5th grade. I collect them and have a small collection of about 200 or so. Something I always wanted to do was learn to use a mini-lathe and mill. Since cancer forced me into early retirement, I decided to take the plunge and jump in, so, per Adrian Duncan's recommendation, I procured a little lathe and mill from Micro Mark and have been thoroughly enjoying and learning how to use them. I should have done this years ago. I'm a long way off yet from even thinking about tackling an engine build, but for practice and learning, I've enjoyed making some display stands for some of my smaller engines.
Thanks for allowing me to join!

Thank you both for your kind welcomes and encouragement. I appreciate your note of confidence. I need to learn some very basic stuff, but I'm having a lot of fun along the way. I look forward to going through the forums to pick up hints and kinks, like how to keep mill saddle from going up and down a tiny bit when the work is moving towards its left end of the range while facing. I know it'll be something dumb I'm doing (or not) , that I can find how fix by perusing the forums here. What a treasure this site is!

Back