Allen Wrenches

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
That Enco lathe at work came with all of the hand tools you would need to work on it.
You can imagine the quality of those tools, especially the metric Allen wrenches.
They round off with very little effort.

Since I was within striking distance of a Sears store this evening....

HexKeySets.jpg

OK, here's my story.

Each 13 piece set was $19.99 but if you bought them in the combination pack, Metric and SAE, it was $34.99

Since my 11 piece Craftsman hex key set doesn't include a 7/64" key that I need occasionally, and that set is
not ball end, I HAD to get both sets!
Beside that I saved $4.99, right? scratch.gif

Allen wrenches / hex keys are one of those simple tools that it just doesn't pay to skimp on.

Rick

Looks like good quality sets Rick!

I need to get some ball ended allen wrenches.
Some bolts are a pain to get to and the ball ends make it so much easier!!

Andrew

What upsets me is that a lot of the Craftsman stuff is not made in USA anymore. I have several sets of Allen wrenches. The good stuff is still cheap. I doubt I'll ever use the 5/8" one I got in a diemakers toolbox I bought.

dieselpilot said:
I doubt I'll ever use the 5/8" one I got in a diemakers toolbox I bought.

The ram locking screws in the big vertical boring mill I used to operate were 5/8".
I still have a couple of those hex key laying around.

5-8HexKey.jpg

They are the perfect length for a back scratcher. :D

Rick

I made sure that my metric wrenches had a gold finish, and the SAE ones black so I could easily tell them apart.

If its an allen wrench and it don't say Bhondus its garbage.

purpleknif said:
If its an allen wrench and it don't say Bhondus its garbage.

First off, it's spelled Bondhus and I think you'll find that Wiha tools are just as good, if not better.

I don't know about the Bondhus, but I agree with Marv. I've gotten a set of small Wiha nut drivers and hex drivers and they are very nicely made (in Germany).
Best
Stan

If it is an Allen wrench " Allen" will be stamped on it otherwise it is a hex key .
Tin

A hex key has always been an Allen wrench to me.

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator in the kitchen.
I call it a fridge.
Only Frigidaire appliances are true "fridges".

Just a cat by a common name.

When I started this thread, I was wondering if using the Allen Wrench name would
draw comments.

I had expected it would. ;)

Rick

In Denmark its called Unbraco, in Switzerland its called Inbus, i think most contries have a name for the hex key

Holt

I know rick but had to be technical.
Channel Locks -water pump pliers
Crescent wrench -adjustable wrench.
super glue -cynoacalate

All in fun friendly banter.

Tin

Across the pond

Allen Wrench - Allen Key
Crescent Wrench - Shifting Spanner
Channel Locks - ????

Best Regards
Bob

Multigrips I think Bob.

Back to allen keys - Unbrako get my vote.

tel,

I was thinking along the lines of self locking pliers. Multigrips or Monkey wrenches don't lock and most often don't grip either, (well at least when I butcher something with them).

stanley_84_908_curverd_jaw_mole_grip_small.JPG

Best Regards
Bob

Oh I agree - the very best use for multigrips is for throwing at the cat, but I think that's what they mean.

Tel

self locking pliers are commonly called vise grips
These are channel locks
430.jpg

photo from Channel lock tools
I do work for a local chemical plant the operators carry a pair of these a screw driver and an explosion proof flashlight if those tools won't fix it call a mechanic.
tin

From 'across the pond'

self locking wrench = Mole Grips (Mole was a manufacturer)
Channel locks I know as a plumbers wrench (probably obvious where that comes from)
crescent wrench is just a spanner, if it has an open end and a closed end it is a combination spanner, the closed end is a ring spanner, if it is adjustable, its an adjustable spanner. Simple really!

We also make stuff out of Aluminium (note the 2nd i) ::)

Dave

Is the term 'spanner' also used in the UK for the sort of tool we
Americans call a spanner, namely a bar fitted with two pins that enter holes or notches in the nut/ring to be turned?

Do the members of the commonwealth refer to any tool as a wrench?

Back