All- Copper Boiler Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could look at a flash steam boiler. No large pressure vessel, doesn't have a big problem complying with the regs as the small gauge tubes can take the pressure. Lightweight and I'd imagine it could be pretty responsive. Have a look at my flash steam thread in this topic and there are some good links in there. Including an airplane, a 130mph boat, a steam car and maybe even a bike.

Pete

Giovanni

There was a book by Edgar Westburry titled "Flash Steam". This book has the history and several drawings of monotube boilers. They for the most part look a bit like the water heater drawing you posted. The book also describes the engines used with these boilers which for the most part are single acting high speed engines used for racing.

Dan

Does the flash steam boiler system use more fuel than a boiler tube tank system?
Regards,
Giovanni

Heat energy in, Steam energy out. Efficiency is the real question and if on demand water heaters are to be believed the flash boiler should be more efficient as it doesn't waste its time heating up a tank of water that is then let to cool down at the end.

Is the Doble boiler fan exhausted?
And if so are the tubes wet or filled with water or a tank?
Thanks,
Giovanni

doble_boiler_large.jpg

DobleEngineDrawing.gif

All flash boilers are water tube boilers and the water is inside the tubes. A monotube boiler is the simplest version of a flash boiler.

The issue of controlling a flash boiler is fairly simple for a steady load as needed in racing full out. Variable load as a car or a motorbike need a variable speed feed pump which needs some form of control. The flash boiler thread has a bit on how to do this with programmable electronics.

The term fan exhausted in not used in boiler literature the term is forced draft. I know the later Dobles had forced draft. The choice of forced draft has to be made with the combustion chamber design and the fuel choice. A long exhaust path might require forced draft. This will also need to be controlled with the amount of fuel so complete combustion takes place.

Dan

Just to expand a bit on draft.

If the fan is before the furnace, i.e. it pushes the air into the fuel it is known as forced draft. If the fan is after the furnace, (in the exhaust), i.e. it pulls the air through the fuel, it is known as induced draft. Lastly is natural draft which relies on the shape and height of the stack, (funnel, exhaust), to promote a flow of air through the fuel and is usually controlled by a damper, (choke), before or after the furnace,to vary the amount of air available to the fuel.

A large fossil fuel power station usually is a combination of all three to maximize efficiency and minimize air pollution and deposits.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Bob

Back