Alibre 11.2 and CamBam

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eskimobob

Reaction score
I was very interested recently to see a free Alibre to CamBam plugin at (www.spiked3.com). It allows you to import features/shapes from Alibre into CamBam so you can apply machining operations.

Unfortunately I was disappointed when I found that it would not work with Alibre 11.2 and the free (limited) version of CamBam.

The plugin was developed by a guy called Mike Partain (see his website www.spiked3.com) and fortunately he included the source code on his website so I have been able to modify the addon/plugin to make it work with the free version of CamBam.

I have checked with Mike and he has kindly said that I can make the version I have compiled available to anyone else who uses the free version of CamBam. If you would like a copy, please let me know and I will be happy to forward it.

Regards
Martin

deere_x475guy said:
What version is it supppose to work with...I am on 12 now.

Well the main problem point is with the version of CamBam rather than the version of Alibre. CamBam is available as a free limited program which is version 0.8.2 (does everything I need to do hobby wise) or as a paid for version which has new features and is currently version 0.9.7. I would not want to put anyone off buying CamBam - it's very good.

I modified the plugin/addon to work with Alibre 11.2 and CamBam 0.8.2 but if you wanted to use Alibre 12 with CamBam 0.8.2 then I could adjust it for that.

deere_x475guy said:
Ok..I just found it under untested releases. Do I need DW 2 or DW 3?

Oh, Sorry, I must have downloaded one of those untested ones for some reason. You would be find with 0.8.1.
If you would like a copy of the plugin, just send me a message with your email address and I will mail it back to you. :)

Great and thanks, I am in a coffee shop right now waiting on my wife....(Beaners..free wifi). I just about have the the D1-3 drawings done so this is timely...thanks again!

deere_x475guy said:
Great and thanks, I am in a coffee shop right now waiting on my wife....(Beaners..free wifi). I just about have the the D1-3 drawings done so this is timely...thanks again!

Hi deere_x475guy. Hopefully you should have this now 8)

Eskimobob,

Have you or could you modify spiked3’s (Mike Partain) Alibre/CamBam bridge/plugin/addon to work with Alibre 12.1 and CamBam Plus Beta Release 0.9.7 ?
These are the latest loads out there.

I PMed you with my email

Thanks in advance, Jim

Hi Jim,

I've sent you a PM with more details however in case anyone else is reading here - The version on Mike's website should simply work with the version of Alibre and CamBam you have - you do not need the modified version.

I do not have Alibre 12 or CamBam 0.9.7 myself so I can't be certain of that but I can say that the changes I have made are not necessary if using the latest versions and indeed would not work with the latest versions.

All the best
Martin

Hey, gents:

I'm interested in trying out some of this CNC stuff and have NO previous experience with any CAD, and a little with the CNC side.

Would CAMBAM and Alibre be a good place to start?

Would the skills developed be transferable to mastercam and these sorts of programmes?

If not , what is? Can you reccommend a CAD and CNC package simple ( and free) enough to learn on?

many thanks,

f

Charles, I haven't had much of a chance to look over cambam yet but I have had Alibre for about 4 months now and I just bought the 12.0 upgrade with a years maintenance. I have found it very easy to use compared to other packages I have tried and the tutorials are great. I just finished up a 3d drawing and cad dimensioned drawings for a set of soft jaws to fit my 8 inch Bison 3 jaw chuck. It took me longer too take the dimensions of the original jaws than it did to actually draw up the 3d drawings.

charlesfitton said:
If not , what is? Can you reccommend a CAD and CNC package simple ( and free) enough to learn on?

I can only comment slightly because I have little experience myself however it is a hobby and therefore on a small-ish budget for me.

I bought Alibre 11.2 when it was on offer for $99 (although I got it for £63 in the UK) and along with that I have CamBam (free version) to create GCode files and then I have EMC2 (free open source) running on a dedicated Linux box next to the miller. EMC2 interprets the GCode files that CamBam creates and drives the steppers on the miller. Considering the small investment, it is a powerful resource. Hope this helps.

Charles,

Alibre is a 3D CAD program and is very low cost (Express version is free), but the CAM software to handle 3D is presently out of reach for the home machinist. I love to use Albre for designing my projects. I output my drawings into dwg files and then use CamBam to generate G-code.
An alternative is Google’s Sketchup and any 2D CAD that outputs a dwg file.

For CAM I use CamBam.
CamBam has a free version and their CamBam Plus can be launched/used 40 times for evaluation. CamBam is just now beginning to venture into the world of 3D. Right now it is an excellent 2.5D CAM program for the Home hobbyist. Search on the internet and you will find all kinds of good things said about it.

For the controller, try Mach3
Just download it to try it and as long as you don’t need to go over 500 lines, it is free. Paid version goes to 10 million lines of code. It also has a built in editor, so just learn a few lines of G code and you are set if you have a CNC ready Mill. Use a piece of graphing paper and pencil for your low cost CAD. Hand code the G-code and Mach 3 will generate a tool path for you. All manuals, tutorial videos, and documentation are at Artsoft. You can spend days just reading all the documentation and watching the Videos. All available for free. ;D

Jim

Today I installed CamBam for the 40 use free trial. I loaded a simple 2D DXF file that I had created with MasterCam. I found it fairly easy to create the toolpaths and g-code for this part (an engine connecting rod with 2 bearing holes, a lengthwise pocket, and an exterior profile).

There were only a few quibbles I found in working on this simple part:

a) In one case I neglected to enter the spindle speed for a drill operation. I think a warning would be appropriate, but CB was happy to generate a S0 in the g-code. Since they sell a CB/CutViewer bundle I believe that you'd want CutViewer or a similar emulation package to detect tool crashes.

b) The default feed and plunge rates are quite high for most hobby mills. It would be nice to be able to easily change these globally.

c) The program doesn't let me specify an O program number. This is not important for Mach3; however code generated with the Fanuc post processor needs one.

d) My drawing had dimensions with the diameter symbol in two places. CB rendered the symbol as %%C.

CB does have CAD capability, which I have not experimented much with as yet. I was able to fix a couple of minor problems in the drawing using CB's editor.

I'll chase your reccommendations, many thanks.

For the controller, try Mach3 - Is this the POST PROCESSOR?

f

Back