AL51G belt running off

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't say there wasn't any information on this size lathe or that the drive system couldn't be modified , i stated that I hadn't seen nor did i know of a conversion that was commercially available to which you replied that you had . You can watch youtube vids all day about lathe modifications and google it until your fingers bleed , you will find the modifications offered are pretty much all the same or just a variation of the same ideas . I spent hours looking for ideas for my mini lathe and ended up getting more inspiration from the now editor of MEW than i did anywhere else ! That modification to the drive belt was completely different to anything else on youtube or what google offered and it was easy to do .

I'm deaf and partially blind so such things as YuTubes and as Shakespeare put it 'wise saws and modern instances' have little relevance. Having been retired for some 55years, I found the solution to a lot of small lathe problems by buying a second hand Sieg C4 and recently adding a Sieg vertical mill/drill attachment to it.

What 'I' am doing is NOT in any of the books or whatever and that is adapting lots of my 'Myford' tooling to fit the Sieg set up

At 88, it seems to make sense to have it all indoors and now that the temperature has dropped below freezing,
I can enjoy my own version. of forward planning.

It's only a game-- well, it is to me

N

Hello,
My H&F 9 x 20 lathe is spitting the v-belt from the pulley group on the motor driven shaft.
This machine is also sold by Harbour Freight, Grizzly and Jet. There seems to be a runout of .5mm or so on the bottom or A shaft pulley which will be causing the problem.
I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem with this type of machine.
Before I strip the assembly is there something that may have come adrift on the shaft?
Many thanks,
Dennis
Hi
Check out machine modifications by Imation July 14 2017.
Cheers Mike.

Yes i remember that and that now reminds me why i have these billets of aluminium in my storage drawer ! I just never got around to making the pulleys - probably because not long after i read that post the AL320 lathe came along and i began to rebuild it instead .

Norman ,
I didn't know that Shakepeare was married to a hathaway , i though she was a character on the Beverly hillbillies not the wife of a long dead poet that no one cares about these days ! Did you know he also made fishing rods [emoji6]

Norman ,
I didn't know that Shakepeare was married to a hathaway , i though she was a character on the Beverly hillbillies not the wife of a long dead poet that no one cares about these days ! Did you know he also made fishing rods [emoji6]

So in his spare time, he made speed boats-- or so I recall. No doubt the Swan of Avon would have been terrified.

And Anne is now an American actor and singer. Didn't she do well?

Oh for a classical education-- coughs discreetly!

Norm

Norm
You have done very well.
I liked this statement "I can enjoy my own version. of forward planning. It's only a game-- well, it is to me"
It's only a game-- well, it is to me", I think it all about how you plan to use it. I feel you have done a fantastic job.
Nelson

Nelson,
Thank you for your comments.
In. addition, I have an E-Mail from the Quorn owners site. I'm afraid that mine is just the old Mark1 but still useful. Currently, I'm playing with one of these Chinese Deckel 'clones' which seems to be the inspiration for Professor Chaddock's Quorn.

For XD351, that wonderful German provider( Aldi) of food and goodies to the Limey B*****ds,are selling again cheap -well £60, drill and vice. Nice provider of pulleys, belts motors and whatever-- if you think about it.

Just a note but I have a HongKong-ese invite to visit Tasmania. Obviously, I have to stop over in Oz with a chance to see how the other half live.

Regards

N

Just a note but I have a HongKong-ese invite to visit Tasmania. Obviously, I have to stop over in Oz with a chance to see how the other half live.

I just want to clarify here - you are aware that Tasmania IS Australia right? It's one of our states, not a separate country, so if you go to Tasmania you are in Australia. Seems like this is not the common knowledge that we Aussies assume it is...

A lot of people don't even know tassie exist ! I haven't been there yet but do know a few that have and they reckon it's fantastic so make sure you get out and look around , it doesn't take long to do a lap of the Apple isle and a few days plodding around the place would be well worth the effort! I dont know about the other arf but i do know a lot of poms that left England for Australia and never looked back - they couldn't wait to get out of England for the wide open spaces we have here .

My thanks to Cogsy and XD351. I didn't know that Tasmania was part of Australia!
I sort of recall a Jean Batten flying the Tasman Sea in a very similar aircraft to some that we had in RAF 31( the Goldstars) Squadron. A tough trip in such a thing.
My other world is masonic and I have connections with both theUnited English and Scottish Constitutions- but HongKong is really part of the Irish as well. I'm a very minor Provincial officer but part of the Far Eastern connection- which is 'English' and we got an invite from the Chinese whilst on a Scottish masonic jaunt. You got that?
So this sort of repeats a fraternal visit we made in 2016- to Fiji. I lost a new suit but that is another matter!

If I can keep the Grim Reaper away( Almost 90 then), I intend to join the visit which to give us ancients a break in HK and then into OZ proper ( another break) and then the obvious delights of Tasmania.

Apart from lugging a baggage allowance of medication, that's it-- or not.

But thank you both for your help and interest.

Cheers

N

Back